Pole Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.81080°N / 111.7644°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow / Bad Bushwhack in Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: MOD+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

I-15 exit 236 W, take Rte 54 to Mona and turn right (N) to Rte 91. Proceed about two miles and turn right onto a graded gravel pit access road. Unfortunately it is only as far as a decent road goes. Bypass the pit on the right and proceed SE another mile and a quarter to the canyon mouth. Most cars can make it to this point, but not beyond. The following PellucidWombat's picture shows the quarry and the road connecting it to the TH (on the right side of the image):

Route Description

Just follow the jeep trail up to the point where it crosses Jones Hollow, it is the first major clearing in the woods. It must have had plenty of aspens in the gully but this winter's avalanches seemed to have mowed it down. There might be some bent / semi-uprooted trees here in summer, but Jones Hollow is a pretty hairy bushwhack in summer, and any summer hikers would be better served by continuing up the jeep trail and crossing over the North Peak.
In winter though, all the brush and avalanche debris is buried, and it is an easy going up any of the three gullies visible between the words "Jones" and "Prospect" on the topo. All three lead to a gently sloping meadow at 9,000 ft, where the main canyon turn South-East and reaches beautiful Jones Basin at 10,000 ft. One can continue up SE to Wolf Pass or due South into a 900-ft avalanche gully (we tried the former on the way up and the latter, steeper one down, trying to catch some better glissading). Both route variations reconnect at the North shoulder. One can continue on skis / snowshoes to within a quarter mile of the summit, but the last 250 ft ascent is too steep and exposed, and requires booting and / or crampons.

Essential Gear

Ice ax essential, crampons may be necessary depending on snow conditions.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.