Millicent-Wolverine Headwall

Millicent-Wolverine Headwall

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.58510°N / 111.6011°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2, Class 3 on upper section of headwall
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Use the directions in the "Getting There" section of Mt. Wolverine’s main page to arrive at Brighton Ski Area. Once there, begin at the Millicent ski lift, in the northwest corner of the Brighton Ski Area parking lot (the opposite end of the parking lot from the main lodge and ticket area).

Click for the Full Trip Report on my photography website.

Route Description


There is a small dirt road that travels from the Millicent ski lift to the Twin Lakes Dam. The road is simple and easy to follow. Once you arrive at the Twin Lakes Dam, go to the left side of the dam and follow the narrow trail that follows the edge of the lake. The trail will continue to the southwest tip of Twin Lakes. Make an effort to travel this section of the trail during the sunrise. When you are on the west side of the lake, the view and reflection of the colors on the lake are splendid.

Once at the southwest tip of Twin Lakes, travel directly south to the Millicent-Wolverine headwall. In the spring this area is quite marshy. You'll have a good time jumping over countless streams. The surroundings are gorgeous, and there are a ton of birds everywhere.

There are two main chutes on the headwall, we used the chute on the west end (left side, closest to Mt. Wolverine). The chute angles 30-35 degrees on the lower section, and 37-42 degrees on the upper section. The chute is simple, short, and fairly wide. At the top you'll find yourself in between Mt. Millicent and Mt. Wolverine. Both are just minutes to the summit. I particularly liked the summit of Mt. Wolverine, it's an interesting perspective of the Cottonwood Ridge and Albion Basin. More than anything, this route is just a fun, short variation from the trails and ridgelines. Highly recommended in the late spring with firm snow.

Essential Gear


Basic gear for the summer. In early spring, crampons would be a good idea. The runout is safe. Winter time is a whole new set of danger, take care for avalanches.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.