Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Nov 28, 2011 12:25 am - Voted 10/10

Pages need work

You have posted a few pages now, and no one has chimed in to offer some constructive criticism, so I will take this opportunity to do so. Take this as constructive, which is what it is intended to be. Personally, I am glad you are posting this stuff, as I am a great lover of all things New Mexico, and I think that the state is underrepresented on Summitpost.

That said, you have a number of issues with your pages. First off, you need to get all the basics right. In the preliminary information, you fail to indicate the state the peaks are in, nor do you have the lat and long (if you are using firefox, this feature may be broken right now). Your external links are also non-operative and need to be turned into hyperlinks.

I have not read all your pages in depth, but just a quick perusal reveals a few issues on this page alone. Among them is the description of the SDLUM as being east of Las Cruces. Obviously they are to the west. You should also mention why Magdalena Peak is restricted. Private land? Military? Can the land owners be contacted and permission granted?

All your sections need to be beefed up. It would take longer than I have to explain how each section can be improved. Consequently, the best broad advice I can give is to examine pages you think are good and emulate them. You need to try to explain why someone would want to go there and what they are likely to experience when they are there. Accurate directions to the trailhead are a must and a good route description is standard. Listing the nearest campground is also better than a sweeping statement that is useless to people.

The more pictures the better and maps are a huge plus. I can provide topos for New Mexico if you need them.

All in all, it takes a lot of work to build a good page on Summitpost and should not be undertaken if you are not serious about doing it right. That said, I reiterate my statement about SP needing more posts on New Mexico. I hope this does not discourage you!

twilly

twilly - Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pages need work

Thanks for the comment. I will try to get my pages better as soon as I can. I am a student and I am in my last two weeks of the semester and I am working so it might take a little while. I will do my best to get it done quickly. I do not have any topo maps so if you want to attach them or send them to me it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for the comment.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Dec 2, 2011 10:06 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Pages need work

Your page is improving slowly. Just a heads up, but neither of your external links work. They should look something like this:

Sierra de las Uvas

If I may add another piece of advice, be strategic in your placement of photos. Generally, you want to put the area's best foot forward. Consequently, a large image of a radar array is not going to make people interested in going there. If it is something really important, you can link to it. Otherwise, show some good examples of what the area looks like.

twilly

twilly - Dec 2, 2011 10:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Pages need work

Thanks so much for your help. My links should be working now.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Sierra De Las Uvas Mountains' main page