Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Scott

Scott - Jul 30, 2007 11:01 am - Hasn't voted

Area/Range page

This needs to be an Area/Range page rather than a mountain page.

Also, unless things have changed(?), legal access to the range has been barred since 1996 (we wanted to go there in 98 and 99). If so or if things have changed, much more information on the current situation needs to be added to the page on the situation.

The page also needs a lot more info on other topics as well. There isn't anything here yet that can't be found on Wiki. I assume it isn't finished yet?

El Tigre Valderrama

El Tigre Valderrama - Aug 2, 2007 1:36 pm - Hasn't voted

We are working on it

Hi Scott. You are right. It is an area/range and I have changed that. Regarding permits, I have to confess that I rarely get one, but one is supposed to get one indeed and pay a fee. However, believe me, many times you want to pay it and nobody is in the office. There are few parks (i.e. Tayrona or Chingaza parks) which have permament guards.

BTW, the Sierra Nevada was a must for climbers before the 70s, and it is not often climbed for reasons explained on the SP page. There is another big mountain, with a complicated access, called Nevado del Huila (volcano), remarkably similar to Altisana in Ecuador, but access is a struggle with nature and guerrillas. That one has yet many new routes to be climbed and very few accents. Nowadays is active.

Tha Sierra Nevada page is not finished yet, I am working on it. Will you pass on an y info you recoleted in 1999? Did you go to Colombia finally?

Scott

Scott - Aug 2, 2007 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: We are working on it

There is another big mountain, with a complicated access, called Nevado del Huila (volcano), remarkably similar to Altisana in Ecuador, but access is a struggle with nature and guerrillas. That one has yet many new routes to be climbed and very few accents. Nowadays is active.

We checked into climbing that as well, but finding transport was difficult and the road was closed by a landslide back then? We could have still walked, but it would have been a least a week. We were told the weather is almost always bad, but it sounds like an interesting mountain. We were there just before the big earthquake (two weeks before) in January 1999.

Tha Sierra Nevada page is not finished yet, I am working on it. Will you pass on any info you recoleted in 1999?

I do have info, but it dates back to 1998-1999, so I don’t know if it is up to date. I can still put some of it on the page, but in an hour or two I'm leaving town until August 10. I can post something then.

Did you go to Colombia finally?

We still went in 1998-1999, but we climbed in other areas of the country since the Sierra Santa Marta was closed. We went down to the Cuevas de los guacheros, the Nevados (climbing Tolima and some of the peaks of the Ruiz massif), and Purace.

If we o back to Colombia, we'll head for the Santa Marta and the Lost City, plus climb the peaks.

El Tigre Valderrama

El Tigre Valderrama - Aug 2, 2007 8:36 pm - Hasn't voted

very well

Scott, thanks, feel free to post or submit information. The routes will be posted by my pal Andres Paez, Mountain Guide with 4 or more accents to the Sierra. We will write more.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta' main page