Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 33.84971°N / 117.65408°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 18, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Sierra Peak
Sierra Peak
Sierra Peak Trail Run

So yesterday afternoon I decided to make my way up Coal Canyon to Sierra Peak in the Santa Ana Mountains. The weather seemed okay and I had enough time to run trail this little summit and return all before nightfall. I've been up here a few times and even ran it to the Doppler and back, its a real nice trail run with some steep sections which offer some pretty good climbs. Ever since the Chino Hills sign was posted indicating it was now part of the state park its been one of my favorites. They added a few mile markers here and there to give you a good idea of how far you gone, especially the coal canyon preserve marker letting you know where the preserve starts. Supposedly you can hunt deer up here with bow and shotgun during season, I've seen this only a few times during the fall season. Once I actually talked with a hunter who had a rifle, he indicated that this was a difficult area to hunt because of the terrain. I like the terrain here because it changes from oaks and needle grass to rocks, chaparral and great views. There's always someone either hiking, biking or motorcycling on this trail. Once you actually get to the summit and the microwave towers you can see Pleasants peak, Hagador peak and Santiago Peak all in row there. So here are some of my favorite pics of my trail run.



coal canyon
Coal Canyon



This is a great view from the Half way point. You can actually walk out on the rocks and observe the Turkey Vultures flying above. 
It gets a bit windy here at times so try not to loose your picnic basket.



Coal Canyon
Coal Canyon 1

I was standing on the rocks looking towards the Toll Road in the background. These rocks get lots of exposure to the elements, especially the wind.
The smoothing of the edges and the deep fissures are the results.



Coal Canyon 2
Coal Canyon 2


From here you can see how green the valley gets below after some winter/spring rains. You can see the trail leading to yet another set of rocks..There is a drop off way down there so careful when bush wacking in that area and stay on the trail..



Coal Canyon 3
Coal Canyon 3

I was looking down towards the trail below...yes there is a trail which winds down below the rocks...No I didn't walk on this...



Coal Canyon 4
Coal Canyon 4


This is the half way point or my 1st resting point. Yes its basically a truck trail to the top of Sierra Peak.
You can see Chino Hills State Park towards the lower left corner. Here in this area you'll find whats left 
of the Tecate Cypress Trees. They are scattered around a bit...





Coal Canyon 5
Coal Canyon 5

This view is looking towards the Doppler and Pleasants Peak. This area is well known to experienced Mountain Bikers.




Coal Canyon 6
Coal Canyon 6




You can see across the canyon towards yet another trail. Yes there is a trail up there somewhere...




Coal Canyon 7
Coal Canyon 7

     Here you can see the canyon wall which the trail runs along top. You would never see it until you make your way towards
     Sierra Peak.



Coal Canyon 8
Coal Canyon 8


This is a CNF Gate which indicates Boundary and the trail number. This particular gate marks the boundary between Coal Canyon Reserve and CNF.
You can see the preserve regulations to the right. The Coal Canyon ecological reserve is under the Fish and Game Warden jurisdiction.


Coal Canyon 9
Coal Canyon 9

You can see Sierra Peak and the towers in the distance from the trail.



Coal Canyon 10
Coal Canyon 10

This is my favorite picture of Sierra Peak, The truck trail just keeps going up and up...




Coal Canyon 11
Coal Canyon 11

Here is a closer look at the towers as you approach the summit....Sometimes you may see a vehicle or two parked in the area.





Coal Canyon 12
Coal Canyon 12


One of my favorite resting spots here. Its always a great view...



Coal Canyon 13
Coal Canyon 13

While on the Summit of Sierra Peak you can see Chino Hills State Park Below..



Coal Canyon 14
Coal Canyon 14

I was heading towards the old broadcasting station up there and turned to take this picture.



Coal Canyon 15
Coal Canyon 15

Well That's me just below the Doppler. You can see Sierra Peak in the distant background on my left.


Coal Canyon 16
Coal Canyon 16







Well I Hope you liked the pictures here....Happy Trails..












Comments

No comments posted yet.