Silver Plume Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.71376°N / 105.76749°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12477 ft / 3803 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

If you want to experience a piece of Colorado's mining history and get away from it all on flower filled tundra slopes - Silver Plume Mountain may be down your alley. 

Getting There

Drive on I-70 to Silver Plume ( exit 226)  - go straight on Woodward Street, turn right on Main Street. Trail head and trailhead parking is at the end of Silver Street, next corner to the left. Trailhead parking has only space for 2 cars and the last part of the road is pretty rough, best to just park on Main Street and hike up.

Route

Fastest approach:  7.30 Mine Road Trail

The former 7.30 Mine Road leads in several switchbacks to Brown Gulch and sees heavy foot traffic. After crossing the creek in Brown Gulch the path to the left leads to the entrance of 7.30 Mine,which is a worthwhile detour. To the right a distinctive tral is leading up Brown Gulch. First high above the creek and soon right next to it. The moment you start hiking uphill you will leave th crowds behind, very few people venture further then the end of 7.30 Mine Road Trail. 

Trail will dropp you off at treeline , the rocky outcropp of Republican Mountain is to the right high above you.

Continue hiking up the tundra slopes to your left and you will eventually make it to the summit rocks of Silver Plume Mountain.

Very few people make it up here - 2021 the summit registry wasnt signed once and only twice in 2020.

Note: when hiking back, make sure you only descend when you see Republican Mountain across the valley again. There are two other gulches right below the summit, which wont offer any route back down.

Red Tape

Please abide to all rules/regulations posted at 7.30 Trailhead

 

When to Climb

Silver Plume Mountain can be climbed year round. Crossing Brown Gulch Creek can be very tricky at height of spring run off. Avalanche conditions may exist above treeline.

summitview - silverplume
summitview - silverplume

Camping

Plenty of options above treeline 

 

view of bard-peak
view of bard-peak