Sleeping Gear

Sleeping Gear

Stuffed sleeping bag (Mountain Hardwear Mountain Speed 32) and pad (Term-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Small), with a JetBoil shown for size.
mrchad9
on Sep 13, 2013 1:50 pm
Image ID: 866831

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Sep 14, 2013 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

This photo...

blows me away! I called my wife to come and take a look. Her jaw dropped.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Sep 15, 2013 6:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This photo...

This sleeping bag and pad alone have brought me down one size on my pack, and that makes an additional pound of weight savings right there!

The bag is a bit expensive if stuck paying full price, and the zipper is a bit finicky and it was a battle to get it into that tiny stuff sack until I acquired the necessary skills, but overall I'd have to say it has been worth it. Maybe don't have to take it to that level, but if you can get closer it helps.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Sep 15, 2013 7:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: This photo...

Is the zipper undersized for a sleeping bag? Small zippers are prone to busting open.

In regards to stuffing your sleeping bag into such a tiny bag, have you considered a very small compression sack? Compression sacks, by their very nature, are heavier than regular stuff sacks, but they may save you a lot of extra work. You can also stuff some pieces of clothing with the sleeping bag and compress the whole thing.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Sep 15, 2013 7:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This photo...

It's a small zipper but not really undersized. Issue is the lining ribbon on either side is too small, so it is constantly getting caught in the zipper. Not a big deal except when I wake up a but hot and then can't open it immediately and get that claustrophobic feeling. The Mountain Hardware headquarters is near here and I'm sure they'd fix it up for free... I just haven't bothered yet.

I'll look at a compression sack, but not if it adds much weight. When space isn't a premium I use a slightly larger stuff sack that weighs almost nothing. Would be interesting to see how the compression sack does with all the clothes though, but my down jackets get reasonably small by stuffing them into their own pockets.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4