Slieve Donard

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object

Overview

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route Description

We hiked to the two highest peaks in Northern Ireland on a sunny first day of November 2011. We followed the trail from the car-park to the edge of the forest. From here you can follow the direct trail to the saddle between the two peaks, but we decided to veer right and ascend Slieve Commedagh first. This involved a steep ascent on a heather and grass covered slope, but it was worth it as the summit of Slieve Commedagh had some great views of the Mourne Wall as it passes over the rest of the Mourne Mountain range to the West. From the summit cairn, we headed over to meet the wall, and we followed the wall descending from Slieve Commedagh to the saddle before ascending again up the slope of Slieve Donard. The weather closed in a bit at the top, but soon cleared again. We descended Donard the same way we came up back to the saddle and from the saddle, we descended northwest along the clearly marked trail back to the forest and the car-park. A great day out in the Mournes and really good day-hike.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.