Smith Rock

Smith Rock

Heresey
runawayreignbow
on Sep 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 443214

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
MichaelJ

MichaelJ - Sep 15, 2008 11:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Another nice shot

Looks fun. I drove by Smith Rock yesterday without stopping, hurrying to the Valley from Squamish. Now I'm sorry, I didn't linger...

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Oct 26, 2008 11:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Great shot

It looks very steep, and I don't see a bolt for protecting the overhang. What gives?

runawayreignbow

runawayreignbow - Oct 27, 2008 4:11 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot

Smith Rock is known for its high 1st bolts. I mean, ridiculously high...you should see the 1st bolt on some of the others..like Barbecue the Pope (amazing climb btw). Someone was spotting me though...er....uh, taking a photo actually. hahahahaa...I guess you just have to be sure to not fall. :)

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Oct 27, 2008 9:09 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great shot

I hope you had a bolt to clip from that handhold, like after reaching pretty high. But, I don't know. In any case it's a great shot.
BTW, You may have seen collapsable "stick-clip" poles. I have one, but used it a few times. It really helps protecting life and lims.
Great set of photos. Keep on cranking.
Marc

runawayreignbow

runawayreignbow - Oct 27, 2008 10:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot

The first bolt was still further to my left and above. I could get to it but could not clip it so I fell after. But my partner was spotting me and thankfully, he was over very tall. I've heard of the stick...I kind of wanted to try it on my own though. :) Thank you Marc! Amazing photos you have as well....

AJones

AJones - Feb 28, 2009 11:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot

My wife and I were climbing at Smith Rocks a couple of years ago - after doing "BBQ the Pope" she made me go buy (actually make) a stick clip - it was stressing her out as the belayer. We gave the stick clip to someone else the day we left for home (good kharma, I hope).

runawayreignbow

runawayreignbow - Mar 1, 2009 9:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot

That's very kind of you both. BBQ the Pope is such an awesome one. The whole route is runout....spooky..

Viewing: 1-7 of 7