Viewing: 1-3 of 3

sawtoothpete - Aug 29, 2010 2:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Horstman South Face Route Aug 2010

SawtoothSean, not to doubt you but based on our recent experience I think 4-7 hours is a wee bit optimistic. We were 6 hours getting nearly to the base of the peak and back what with the bushwhacking and bogging to be done. We kept a steady pace and are reasonably fit. I think 10-12 hours might be more realistic, then again perhaps we didn't follow the most direct path...but it's hard to see the forest for the trees along upper Fishook Ck. Next time. Happy trails.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Aug 30, 2010 11:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Maybe

The 4-7 hour estimate is pretty accurate if your careful with route finding, like the page says. I suppose I could say 6-12 hours and drop the careful route finding statement, but I like the positive assumption that the easiest way will be found by most. The way I came up with the estimate is we did it in about 5.5 and I figure there are a few who are faster and a bunch that are slower. From where the trail ends to the the bottom of the south slopes is about 2.2 miles. This part is definitely the toughest to bushwhack and you can definitely get bogged down- I agree. But if you take the open parts, rocks, grass slopes etc it's not bad at all. I've also had the benefit of being in that area for the South Slopes, the descent on the Sickle, and Mt Iowa.

splattski - Aug 31, 2010 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Maybe

We did the Sickle to the summit car-to-car in 9.5 hours. So your estimate sounds right to me. It definitely helps if you can follow the old tread up the valley, and it IS there if you look. In that case, I wouldn't say it is tough bushwacking- easier than average?

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'South Face Route' main page