South Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.34390°N / 119.9161°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Steep Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The route begins a half mile down the east side of the Mt Rose Highway Summit or a half mile up from the main entrance to the Mt Rose Ski Area. Park on the inside (south side) of the large sweeping turn across from a short, steep east facing slope. The highway guard rail won't allow you to park on the north side of the highway.

Route Description


Cross the highway here and traverse north across the east facing slope. Travel down the drainage and cross the creek where able. From here, travel northwest to the base of a long series of chutes that all lead to an east saddle between the summit of Mt Rose and a smaller knoll at 10,006'. Be sure to stay to the right of the short cliffs on the climbers left near the top of this saddle. From there, travel north and then west out on to the upper slopes near the summit. Continue up to the obvious summit to the west. Decent the same way. No trail exists at anypoint of this climb.

Essential Gear


Crampons and ice axe needed in the winter and spring.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.