South Fork Trail Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 24
12
MValentine

MValentine - Aug 8, 2013 9:34 pm Date Climbed: May 30, 2011

S Fork Loop  Sucess!

The plan had been to do the Vivian Creek trail, but we got too late of a start and there were no more permits left so this route was suggested. Glad that we took it because the views were amazing. Did the trek to the peak and back in one day on this route.

pBerg

pBerg - Jul 2, 2013 6:57 pm Date Climbed: May 13, 2012

First overnight backpacking trip  Sucess!

Camped at Dry Lake. Still some snow on the ground between the lake and the summit. Fun trip. First time I pooped in the woods.

SkydiveKen

SkydiveKen - Jun 21, 2013 2:53 am Date Climbed: Jun 1, 2013

Night Hike  Sucess!

Summit # 5 first time up the Dollar creek trail.

Left the trail head at 10PM and got to the summit @ 2 AM. Love the views at night. Perfect weather in the 60's with a very light brease. Retune to car by 7 am.

brichardsson

brichardsson - May 2, 2013 1:21 pm Date Climbed: Apr 11, 2013

nice trail  Sucess!

south fork trail to dry lake and then up with the big draw and on to the jepson/san g saddle. x-c snow climb.

Wild

Wild - Dec 25, 2012 6:08 pm Date Climbed: May 26, 2011

To north face, in snow  Sucess!

Too much fun!

Grenn - Dec 13, 2011 4:22 pm Date Climbed: Dec 10, 2011

S Fork to north face  Sucess!

South Fork trail to S. Fork Meadows, then followed drainage up to flats below north face. Climbed snow chute to the top.

asmrz

asmrz - Jul 2, 2011 7:12 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2011

Up via Dry Lake Trail, down via Dollar Lake  Sucess!

Penelope and I hiked up the Dry Lake Trail to the summit and continued down via the Dollar Lake trail back to our car at Jenks. The round trip was made longer as we had trouble finding the Dollar Lake saddle ( we have not been there before). We backtracked a bit (1.5-2 miles) before correcting our error. We liked connecting the two trails this way. A wonderful day hike. 26+ miles, 11+ hours RT.

MtnDoser

MtnDoser - Dec 10, 2010 11:29 pm Date Climbed: Sep 1, 2010

22.5 mile day-trip  Sucess!

From Jenks to Dollar Lake to San Gorgonio Peak to Dry Lake back to Jenks.

JEFFS - Apr 7, 2010 7:21 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2008

SF Day HIke  Sucess!

We did the SF Lollipop. Went up the Dry Lake route summited then came down the Dollar Lake route. Summited with Liz and Adam.

SierraCJ

SierraCJ - Jan 27, 2010 10:05 am Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2009

Day hike to Dry Lake  Sucess!

Great day hike to Dry Lake. Wonderful scenery!

tarol

tarol - Oct 25, 2009 10:28 am Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2009

Great Trail!  Sucess!

Love the South Fork Meadows especially with their mossy greenery and flowers :)

Sam Page

Sam Page - Aug 17, 2009 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2009

Strenuous   Sucess!

Followed the trail to about .5 miles above Dry Lake, then headed straight up the slope. The last 500 feet of small, loose scree was strenuous. Made for a fast descent, though. Car-to-car in 7+ hours.

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Apr 18, 2009 6:33 pm Date Climbed: Apr 17, 2009

Underestimated  Sucess!

I definately underestimated this route, especially with snow on it. It was clear of snow until the trail spilt for Dollar Lake. We went up that trail, climbed Charlton via one of its North Couloirs, and then went on to bag Little Charlton, Jepson and San G (!!!). We cut it a little close with time. We came down a chute around Jepson and just followed the drainage knowing that it would meet up with the South Fork Trail. We just found the trail again right when the sun set...it was pretty easy to follow in the dark with a headlamp, but I was wayyyyy tired.

Groundswell

Groundswell - Mar 23, 2009 6:00 pm

nice and mellow

compared to Vivian. done many times over the years, mostly in winter

farrisgl

farrisgl - Mar 22, 2009 1:08 am Date Climbed: Jul 14, 1965

Route for my first weekend backpack trip age 12  Sucess!

Start of my first week long backpack trip over Gorgonio to Baron Flats, through Big Bear and ending at Green Valley Lake.

Blair

Blair - May 6, 2008 5:05 pm

Ski Tour  Sucess!

Camped @ Dry Lake, what a trip. Ahi tuna for dinner...

The Tailor

The Tailor - May 5, 2008 11:57 am Date Climbed: May 4, 2008

LOST  Sucess!

Got a bit lost on the way up due to the snow covering a switchback. Camped at Dry Lake for an early morning summit to San Gorg.

Good times!

Shirley Lam

Shirley Lam - Jan 30, 2008 9:00 pm

I think...  Sucess!

this is my favorite TH to start from for Gorgonio.

SkydiveKen

SkydiveKen - Dec 30, 2007 11:36 am Date Climbed: Dec 29, 2007

2 years later  Sucess!

It has been 2 years since I first saw this route and I have wanted to return ever since. Finally got the chance and what a great hike it was. Hiked up to Dry Lake and then up the third chute to the right on the north face of the Jepson San G ridge. Snow was scoured and mostly ice in the chute but it sure beat post-holeing through the trees. Winds were 40 to 50 MPH on the ridge.

Pics here

Image hosted by Webshots.com
by skydiveken

Blackmouth

Blackmouth - Sep 26, 2007 6:16 pm Date Climbed: Oct 5, 2006

S. Fork Loop  Sucess!

Made a nice 3 day overnighter out of it. Camped at Dry Lake before hitting the summit and then camped at Dollar lake before heading back to the car. Fun trip

Viewing: 1-20 of 24
12
Return to 'South Fork Trail' main page