South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jolly's Peak is a simple yet elegant mountain with a sister summit (Point 12485) only 1/4 of a mile further. Both of these summits are quietly nestled in the Eagles Nest Wilderness area of the Gore Range. As it is with all of the mountains in the gore range Jolly's Peak is constructed of solid talus to boulder size rocks which make for enjoyable climbing. Jolly's Peak has three major ridges (south, west and north) which are all very accessible via Deluge Lake Trail. Jolly's Peak is easily accessed via Deluge Lake TH out of East Vail.

Getting There

Take the East Vail Exit and look for signs for Bighorn Road (The only frontage road off of the exit). Take Bighorn Road 2 1/4 miles east (back under I-70 at 2 miles) to the Deluge Lake and Gore Creek THs. Parking is on the left of the road.

Route Description

Jolly's Peak South Ridge is an exciting class 3 scramble which is easily accessed via Deluge Lake TH off of I-70 in East Vail. After hiking approx. 2 1/2-3 miles on Deluge Lake Trail head north (leaving the trail) and follow the drainage that leads towards Jolly's Peak. The ridge rises swiftly and is hard to miss. The entire ascent of Jolly's Peak can be done on the ridge. There are occcasional small pinnacles that can be climbed directly or climbed around. I would recommend including the small pinnacles as they are fun scrambling with some exposure. The summit is a fairly broad, flat heap of rock. Continue on to Point 12485 to the North for a fun scramble.

Essential Gear

Standard mountaineering equipment October-Late July (ice axe, crampons, snowshoes).
Geography