South Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jul 11, 2007 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

class 4

"The route mentioned by MoapaPk turns off earlier into another drainage.

...You might be able to bypass this cliff if you traverse around it or climb up to the ridge using a different route, but we didn’t see anything easy. The traverse around it looked steep and uncertain. We decided to climb straight up the crack in the middle of the cliff. This is probably a Class 4 move, and it was exposed to some extent."

The earlier right turn-off requires nothing above class 2. Although the first drainage (on the right) looks steeper, it hits no headwall, and is just slanted rock for most of the way.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jul 11, 2007 8:59 pm - Hasn't voted

alternative routes

"The MoapaPk route has you going straight up the south face to reach the summit, but this doesn’t appear to be the easiest route. We decided to climb straight up a scree gully on the left edge of the rock buttress. "

The south "face" actually is a low-angle ramp.

As indicated in my route description, you can go left up the scree gully to avoid the steepest rock. The entire way to Duckwater and down can be accomplished class 2; but sometimes, class 3 is easier than talus, if one is comfortable with class 3. I like to give people choices.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'South Ridge' main page