South Ridge Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Dean

Dean - May 21, 2009 8:29 am - Voted 10/10

Outstanding

Thank you for this nice route page. I had been thinking about doing this peak but wondered about the way up it. You've delivered the answer.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 21, 2009 1:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding

It took me a while to find a good route up the mountain. Much of the land on the west side is now fenced off and posted with no trespassing signs. The route up the south ridge is used by hunters but they don’t seem to go very far. You wouldn’t think there would be very many hunters early in the year, but apparently, that is turkey season.

cachehiker - Jul 5, 2010 12:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Not for the Faint of Heart

This was the only route I could find any reliable information on in a hurry so a few friends and I went for it day before yesterday. Three of us (including me) had no serious trouble with the ruggedness of the ridgeline but the last two were really out of their element with all the bushwacking and route finding. The round trip ended up taking 11 hours. Without the last two, it would've been an hour or maybe two less.

As a final note, I fight with my feet some and have to wear sturdier footwear than most. There is no way I could have ever handled this in trail runners and the two in our group who did were wishing they had donned something more substantial.

I'll be sure to go in search of the information I need to tackle the Winter Canyon route and post a trip report for it.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jul 5, 2010 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Not for the Faint of Heart

Thanks for your comments. The off trail hiking is brushy but not terrible. The route does take longer than it looks though. It is a full day of hiking and driving to the trailhead unless you already live in Cache Valley. Then it is a shorter drive to get there. SP member Dean and I took about the same time of eight hours round trip for Gunsight Peak. The route up Winter Canyon is easier so that is the one that I suggest for most people. If this route bothers a lot of people, then I can delete this page.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Feb 23, 2011 1:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

I saw this peak from my house pretty much every day when I was living in Preston but so far I haven't climbed it. Next Time I'm down there I'll have to head out there and give it a try. Also congrats on your second front page feature in a week!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thank you Matt! From June through mid-September is probably too hot for most people. I went in May and the mosquitoes were excessive. You may want to avoid that time also. So Autumn is probably the nicest time to climb the mountain. The south ridge route will take most of the day to hike. Gunsight Peak has great views as expected. I'm not sure how pages are selected for front page so who knows how I got there.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'South Ridge' main page