South-Southwest Ridge

South-Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.66670°N / 44.40000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow/Glacier
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up + axe/crampo
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


You should get to the mountain by some vehicle(to 2000m). You can make a deal with the people from the village to pick your bags up to the 3200 and 4200m camps(it is possible if is an summer ascent). If it is winter, you should start walking from the Elikoyu village(2000m).
The route on the southwest can be clearly seen that when you look from the south, it is on the left side of the Cehennem Dersesi -the dark valley with seracs.

Route Description


It is a "3 step" ascent. 1. walk to 3200m camp. 2. Ascent to 4200m. camp and the third summit attempt. The slope is very low up to 3200m. but there might be deep and soft snow in the winter. It gets a little steeper between 3200-4200m. since it is a volcano, there are many volcanic rocks so you becareful! sometimes it is possible to scramble. The snow gets harder approximately at 4800-4900m. be ready to walk on crampons because there is a glacier and you should traverse(it is not steep) to the east at 5000m. You may need safety while traversing. There is the summit in front of you!!!

Essential Gear


You probably need a 4 or 5 season tent. There are serious winds in Ararat. Ice axe and crampons are MUST. You may need harnesses, ice screws and rope for traversing. It is up to you to use or not to use. I remind you to bring enduring plastic boots and gaiters.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.