South Spur Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
millsb40

millsb40 - Mar 27, 2006 10:54 pm - Voted 2/10

Route Distance

I have found several sources that state the South Spur Route is about 5.7 miles as mentioned in this description. However, I believe this climb is further than that. The trail to the lunch counter where we camped was 5.1 miles according to my GPS. From the lunch counter it was 2.4 miles to the summit (we did do a bit of switch-backing on the snow fields above the lunch counter). Someone preparing to make this hike should plan on 7.5 miles.

Victor151 - Aug 16, 2013 2:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Distance

My GPS said 6.1 miles one way to top from Cold Springs. This probably didn't include a lot of the traversing necessary, so actual distance travelled is greater, as mentioned previously. Also, people refer to the trip from the false summit to the summit as a gradual "saddle." Actually it is a short saddle followed by a steep 1000-foot climb to the summit. This last climb is very tough, as steepness combines with extra altitude. The final climb is as steep as anything on the south route.

Tony Jewell - Mar 10, 2017 1:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Skiing

I wouldn't say that the Southwest Chute is intermediate terrain. I measured it at 40 degrees and it is about 3000 vertical feet! Awesome classic run in the right conditions!!

seancau

seancau - Aug 24, 2017 2:55 am - Hasn't voted

6 miles

Just did this hike, I was 6.009miles (or 9.67km to people from the rest of the world) from Cold Springs to the summit. I used my crampons & ice axe & went straight up Pikers alongside the glissade slides, most people took a route to my right which involved more switchbacking. I doubt any route would be much more than 10k even with switchbacking, 7.5miles would include camping well off the trail at Lunch Counter & getting lost.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'South Spur' main page