Viewing: 1-4 of 4
musicman82

musicman82 - Feb 28, 2012 11:34 am - Voted 4/10

Good start!

You'll need to upload each photo by clicking the Create page link and then the image button; this will put each photo on the site and then the insert image feature will work when you're editing the page. Let me know if you have any questions!

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Aug 2, 2013 4:27 pm - Voted 10/10

finally

I am glad that finally someone has written something about the southeast couloir. I climbed it solo in August 1998 and there was not much information about it back then. I had heard about it talking with a local mountain guide who was climbing next to me and a friend at a local crag. Most of the older guidebooks only mention the Gooseneck as the only route on that side of the peak. I had a great time climbing it and there were NOLS groups using it that day. It was a real fast glissade and I almost could not self arrest going down over the bulge in the middle. The sun had not warmed that section yet. I thought it is a great way to reach the summit and I have recommended it to others. Thank you for making a page for it.

Heaton

Heaton - Aug 3, 2013 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Yes, nice route

Good description. I've had some experiences on this route during my annual solo trips to the Winds. In 2011 after summiting Gannett by the Gooseneck I crossed the top of the SE Couloir to climb Peak 13,295. My plan was to descend the SE Couloir to get to Peak 13,365 (Pinnacle Ridge, an official WY 13er). But the ice was steep and hard, and there was no way I was going to try to descend it alone. In 2012 I tried use an arm of the Dinwoody Glacier to get to Woodrow Wilson Peak, but I ran into huge crevasses. I got up Peak 13,365 then dropped under Glacier Pass to the SE Couloir. The snow was softer and going up was easier, so I had little trouble ascending it with an ice axe and crampons. After summiting Gannett I went down via Gooseneck, which conveniently had a rope rigged over the bergschrund. Last week I ascended Gannet from Mammoth Glacier via a NW Couloir (I need to write that up), and I emerged on the summit ridge right at the top of the SE Couloir. Now I've travelled all four cardinal directions from that familiar spot!

keth0601

keth0601 - Aug 23, 2017 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Very Fun

I did the SE couloir this year, but we took climbers right where the couloir branches about halfway up (new route??). Details and video in the log.

Thanks for adding this page! Wouldn't have known to go this way otherwise. It's not in Kelsey's book...

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Southeast Couloir' main page