Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Dean

Dean - Mar 22, 2011 9:29 am - Voted 10/10

Great stuff

Thanks for sharing your trip and pics. I need to check that area out.

Scott

Scott - Apr 19, 2011 7:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Should have read this earlier

Dang. I should have read this earlier. We did the same thing you did in Quandary and mistook the pothole for the keeper pothole. We saw the gully you went up (your emergency exit), but thought it must be the wrong one since it was just above rather than just below the option rappel, so we went up an even steeper one parallel and just down canyon to the one you went up. When we made it to the top we were cliffed out and could look down to the little saddle you went through.

Thinking we must be on the wrong route, we reveresed it and went through the pothole. On the way up and down the route, there were two slings left by other parties, so other parties are having the same confusion too.

I think a flash flood has changed the canyon and that the pothole that confused both of us is new.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Apr 19, 2011 8:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Should have read this earlier

Damn! Well, at least you got to go to Quandary Canyon. When were you there?
And I know exactly what point atop the swell you're talking about. Lucky we were both able to find a way out. We just happened to stumble upon our route out. That in addition to finding a way to the upper flat area from above the knotted rope crack made for the most extensive route-fining I've ever done. Knowledge of the areas geology also really helped me with route-finding. Sometime we should both go and tackle this canyon the right way!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Spring Break in Utah: March 2011' main page