Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.11400°N / 121.35282°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5770 ft / 1759 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

     Spring mountain is the elbow of an L-shaped ridge that runs from Mt. Pugh at the north end of the ridge and eastward down Lost Creek ridge. Its southern slopes tumble down toward the North Fork Sauk river and its western slopes fall to the Mountain Loop Highway.  Perhaps because Spring mountain is surrounded by more desireable destinations like Mt Pugh, Sloan peak,  and Lost Creek Ridge, it doesn't get the attention it deserves.  Spring mt also falls far down the list for prominence peakers, but with an interesting ridge traverse and amazing views, shouldn't be completely ignored.


View from Spring mt.
View from Spring mt.



      Spring mt shares a trailhead with Lost Creek ridge trail about 3 miles up the North Fork Sauk rd ( rd #49) ,which is 16 miles from Darrington or 39 miles from Granite Falls on the Mountain Loop Highway.

     The trail itself starts at about 1860 ft and meanders a bit through some swampy lowlands before inserting you into the open timber.  Once in the timber the switchbacks begin and go on and on for about 2.5 miles until finally topping out at Bingley gap about 4400 ft.  From here the beaten path takes a right turn and heads eastward and upward toward Lost Creek ridge.  The way to Spring mountain however, goes left at Bingley Gap and follows goat trails along the ridge westward toward Spring.  I chose to stay on or near the ridgetop all the way to the summit block but one can drop below the outcroppings of rock at Bingley Gap and traverse along open timber instead.  The open timber slopes are steep enough and duffy enough to have the potential to be frustrating.  Either way you will eventually get over or around the rocky ridgetop and arrive at the base of the summit block which opens up to boulder fields and heather.  The summit will present itself in the back nw corner and you will want to stay on or near the ridge all the way up.



summit block Spring mt.
summit block Spring mt.



from Spring mt summit
Mt Pugh from Spring mt summit

When to Climb

     Provided one can drive to the trailhead safely in the winter, this summit could potentially be climbed all year.

Camping

    No need to camp overnight for this one, but there are plenty of campsites along the Mountain Loop Highway.

External Links

Add External Links text here.