Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 28, 2011 11:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Maps

Are you interested in the topo map for this (or any other area)? I have Nebraska and South Dakota's National Geographic Topo Maps, if you want me to send them to you.

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - May 29, 2011 2:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Maps

Yes, that would be cool! Maps have become an area of keen interest for me since nearly getting lost in a late-day winter hike in the canyon right behind Steamboat Butte, shortly after I first moved to this area. I wrote a short article about the experience and the value of maps and hike planning, for Nebraskaland magazine. They published it in this month's edition.

My website email address is one of the best ways to reach me: panhandletrails@yahoo.com

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 29, 2011 10:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Maps

Can you give me a few specific areas you would like maps for?

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - May 30, 2011 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Maps

In Nebraska's Pine Ridge area, there are some intriguing canyons, buttes and small peaks. Unfortunately, some of the most interesting ones, like Crow Butte and Five Points, are on private property. I was able to get permission 4 years ago for Crow Butte, but am no where near getting permission for Five Points (about 7 miles north and 15 miles west of Crawford). Still, it would be great to have the area studied in case I ever get permission.

A topo map for the area around Toadstool Geologic Park (18 miles nw of Crawford) would be really great. That area has a great concentration of scenic canyons and badlands, small peaks (Roundtop, Wright, and Eagle's Eye), plus a couple old ghost towns (Orella and Montrose).

The other area with a great concentration of steep summits and deep canyons starts 3 miles east and 2 miles south of Crawford and goes another 5 miles east and 3 miles south. It's a very risky area to hike alone, due to unstable rock and perhaps the greatest concentration of mountain lions in the state. But, every now and then I am able to get a small group together for a more serious hike into an area like this.

I do not hold on to any illusions that I will ever fully explore all the rugged areas of the Pine Ridge. But, it would be great to visit some more of the most interesting parts.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Steamboat Loop Trail' main page