Steg, Zürich Oberland, Switzerland

Steg, Zürich Oberland, Switzerland

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.35063°N / 8.93493°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 31, 1969
Activities Activities: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter

Swiss Ice

Today fellow Summit Poster Boltzman and I visited a lesser-known ice cragging spot in the Zürich Oberland near the village of Steg. Our original plan had been to head to Kandersteg, a popular ice climbing destination in the Berner Oberland, but alas, decided to opt for Steg in favour of fewer numbers.

From the information provided in Urs Obermatt's "Hot Ice" and from what we garnered during our visit, the climbs range in height from 10-35 meters and difficulties range from very easy WI2 up to WI4+ or maybe even WI5 in some seasons. Even though some of the climbs looked quite difficult, none seemed to have the length that would warrant a WI5 grade. Perhaps during fat conditions there are some longer climbs present, though at this point in the season it seemed that things were still developing.

The ease of access and close proximity to the thriving metropolis of "Züri" make Steg a worthy one-day outing, perfect for introducing a beginner to the sport, or getting a quick fix of knuckle bashing goodness.
Steg Eis KletternIce Climbing at Steg, Zürich Oberland, Switzerland


Comments

No comments posted yet.