Storm Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 10, 2009 3:44 pm - Hasn't voted

107.64756°E???

107.64756°E is incorrect. Try putting a longitude of -107.64756 so the mountain is in the Western Hemisphere and the coordinates are in Colorado, instead of the Pacific Ocean.

Regards

markmahlum

markmahlum - Feb 10, 2009 8:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 107.64756°E???

Thanks, but aren't there some big peaks in the bottom of the Pacific?
Mark

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Feb 11, 2009 9:39 am - Hasn't voted

A Comment

First, welcome to SummitPost.

Nice start to a page; however normally, you need to have climbed a mountain before submitting it. That way, you can also submit the route to the summit and have more intimate knowledge of the mountain. Guidelines for submissions are in the FAQ.

markmahlum

markmahlum - Feb 11, 2009 10:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A Comment

Alan, Your point is well taken. Storm Peak is first on my list this summer. I wanted the page because, as I stated, Storm Peak dominates the view from my cabin and I feel a personal attachment to it. Maybe a poor excuse, but true. I've set out to climb it but have been turned back twice by the threat of lightning, a prevalent situation here in the San Juans during the monsoon. Thanks for your input.
Mark

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Feb 11, 2009 11:15 am - Hasn't voted

Need some photos/route info for your page?

I climbed Storm Peak last summer and could help out by giving you some stuff for this page if you'd like. I found some scary, terribly exposed, loose scrambling there (following the Ormes route) but I've since learned of at least one better route.

Lucky you with a cabin in the San Juans. For some reason Silverton is my favorite Colorado mountain town.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Feb 11, 2009 2:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Colorado page ideas

Hello,

Welcome to SP, and thanks for contributing.

You can get some great ideas for building solid contributions by taking a look at Mountains & Rocks filtered by State = Colorado and sorted descending by score.

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&state_province_1=Colorado&sort_select_1=score

Let me know if you've got questions or wish to bounce some ideas off of someone. I'm happy to answer inquiries, etc.

PS: Maximize the use of some of your nice photos by embedding them in the page content.

Cheers!

Sarah

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm - Voted 1/10

This is BS

I'm in Silverton trying to figure out how to get to Storm Peak. This page is less than worthless since I wasted at least a few minutes trying to see if there were any useful nuggets. Sigh...

Scott

Scott - Jul 29, 2016 3:06 pm - Voted 1/10

Re: This is BS

The member who posted the page is long gone. Maybe you can adopt the page after climbing the peak?

Scott

Scott - Jul 29, 2016 3:08 pm - Voted 1/10

Re: This is BS

PS; you are right. This page really sucks.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 29, 2016 10:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This is BS

Liba has climbed it (see log). Maybe she would be willing to take the page.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Aug 2, 2016 5:40 pm - Voted 1/10

The quick guide

Ok, I finally climbed it a few days later. Here's the lowdown:
The only reasonable scramble is from the SW, class 3 from that ridgeline. The NW Ridge from Cement Creek drainage is loose and scary. I backed off that one. The East Ridge from East Storm (or Velocity Peak, purported by the main page) is scary as heck, class 5. There might be a class 2-3 chute up the north side, but I couldn't verify the entire route. Easiest way to reach the SW Ridge, as far as I could tell, is to hike up Boulder Gulch from Silverton, directly from County Road 2. With high clearance vehicle, you can drive County Road 70 on the west side and then hike cross-country to the SW Ridge. For a better challenge, you can hike up the Hematite Gulch/Basin Trail, tagging Macomber, Tower and East Storm on your way to Storm. Trip Report with maps, gpx track.
This peak deserves more love, and a better page on SP.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Storm Peak' main page