Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Oct 21, 2006 11:25 am - Voted 10/10

Cub Scouts?

Cub Scouts are 10 years old and younger. And they probably wouldn't be on this type of campout. This sounds more like a Boy Scout event. But, you're right, they should have received instruction from the older boys on how to properly hang their food (or from the adults of the older boys didn't know).

Thanks for the trip report and images.

--mark d.

rasgoat

rasgoat - Oct 21, 2006 1:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cub Scouts?

ok, yup boy scouts. There were adult leaders there. thanks Mark!

tioga

tioga - Sep 17, 2007 11:58 am - Voted 10/10

Sounds Familiar

I just thru-hiked the LT this past summer and this trip report sounds very familiar. We spotted moose tracks almost everyday but never spotted a moose the entire time. We ran into a number of boy scout groups which always seemed a little ill-prepared. And about the bear bags. In VT there is no threat to bears, really. My partner and I were diligantly hanging our bag like we were in grizzly country, but to our dismay, all others on the trail were hanging theirs right next to their sleeping area, only a few feet off the ground. That includes AT'ers, LT'ers, and day hikers. We soon realized that it was worthless to hang ours like it should be hung. I think the main reason for hanging it at all is to keep small rodents out of it. I don't think we ever saw a sign of a bear the entire trip and talking to some native VT'ers, it sounded like they are a rare sight. And, yes, Stratton seems to be so obscure for the inspiration of two great long-distance trails, but I guess it must be what you are accustomed to.

Great report!

tioga

rasgoat

rasgoat - Sep 17, 2007 4:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sounds Familiar

Thanks Tioga!


Wow, the LT through hike! awesome! What was your favorite part? what kind of wildlife did you see? how long did it take you?
I'm sure it was a blast! although Vermont's mountains are small, they are sure charming!.


Ralph

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Stratton, the birthplace of the AT & Long Trail' main page