Viewing: 1-19 of 19
MelbaToast

MelbaToast - Jul 6, 2004 9:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a vast improvement. Now I can go there and know what I'm doing. Thanks!

Rob

Rob - Jul 6, 2004 10:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hey Melba, you funny girl. Can I go there with you?

MelbaToast

MelbaToast - Jul 12, 2004 12:05 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Please!

Good job, Rob.

MelbaToast

MelbaToast - Sep 7, 2004 1:29 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Funkness, darling, I think you mean a strawberry with it's blossom end down, don't you? Pointy end up?

Rob

Rob - Sep 7, 2004 2:13 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Geez I don't know. I borrowed that info from here. It says "up". But I agree with you, it's surely a typo, I'll change it. Thanks.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 22, 2004 11:14 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good job on the update

desainme

desainme - Jul 22, 2004 2:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

looks vaguely like Borah Peak after you reflect that standard view and minaturize it. Deserving page



Borah picture comparison at SP

http://www.summitpost.org/images/6694.jpg

Dean

Dean - Nov 4, 2004 9:21 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice effort.

CNC Dave

CNC Dave - Mar 5, 2005 11:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Thanks for a great page of info. All of the routes and

instructions for access were accurate and were a great help to us. The photos are helpful as well.

This page and the web site are the best. Trail info and routes into the mountains from the forestry service are sadly lacking. Thanks for your hard work.

Jonodo

Jonodo - Mar 20, 2005 12:01 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page. I lived in La Canada for 18 years, and would have loved to have known about the peak. Thanks for the effort.

Rob

Rob - Sep 19, 2005 12:25 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for your vote!

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Dec 25, 2005 10:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page, Rob.

taikavuorimies - Jan 12, 2006 3:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice to see that there is a real Strawberry peak!



I used to call a hill next to my grandparents' mountain house that way because it looked like a giant strawbery to me. Here's a picture of it:

http://huin.uib.no/~beev/pictures/rhodopa/around%20my%20mountain%20house%20(north)/02%20-%20strawberry%20peak.jpg

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jan 31, 2007 4:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Fabulous Update

Excellent revision.

bluebird8888 - Oct 19, 2009 5:40 am - Hasn't voted

we mourn the loss of life on Strawberry Peak

For those of us who loved to use the "climber's route" up Strawberry Peak, we mourn the loss of plant and animal life on this wonderful mountain. I have gone up the steep trail over 200 times in 20 years, taking many friends and family with me.

I have not seen the devastation from the Station Fire myself, but I have seen a videotape showing the barren mountain in the background. If anyone has information on the effect of the fire on Strawberry Peak, please post here.

It would be good the help restore the trail after the area opens again, particularly after the winter rains and snow will take their toll.

bluebird8888 Bill

bluebird8888 - Jan 23, 2011 4:55 am - Hasn't voted

bluebird8888 Bill

Does anyone know when the Angeles Crest Highway will reopen?

bcrowell2 - Jun 14, 2011 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

closed?

I think the area is still closed as of June 13, 2011. The Ranger District and Forest Service haven't done a very good of communicating online what areas are actually closed now -- their pages link to a map, but it's a broken link. But apparently the general area that's still closed is the Big Tujunga watershed. Both the Jospehine Peak road and the Red Box trailhead have signs saying they're closed.

bcrowell2 - Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm - Hasn't voted

open; still some poodle bush

It was illegal to hike in the Big Tujunga area for years after the Station Fire, due to concern that hikers would carry invasive plant seeds on their boots while the vegetation was still getting reestablished. It's legal again now.

Immediately after the fire, some of the burned areas had huge amounts of poodle-dog bush: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turricula_%28plant%29 This stuff is a horrible skin irritant. The plant has microscopic hairs that are like little syringes injecting its irritating chemical. They stick in your skin and you can't get them out, and it's much, much worse than poison oak. I had a case that made life miserable for a full month. As of 2014, the stuff has mostly retreated from the road cuts and hillsides, but there is still a ton of it on the west ridge of Strawberry Peak, in the area leading up to the final scramble. It's possible to avoid a lot of it, but not all of it. There is one big bush of it directly blocking and obscuring the start of the scramble. Definitely wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, avoid contact, have a change of clothes in the car, and throw the stuff in a garbage bag when you get back to the car.

StartingOver

StartingOver - Apr 6, 2015 3:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail from Red Box is open

The trail from Red Box is back open as of April 2015. There are no signs, but the route is in good condition all the way to the summit, and it is easy to follow. The portion of the hike from the saddle to the summit is still difficult, but the trail is easy to follow.

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'Strawberry Peak' main page