Summit Cross

Summit Cross

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery, Panorama

The cross on the summit.

In many cultures it is common that special places are marked by a sign.
These signs could be cross, flags, stones or something else. People come to these places to pray or find internal calmness and peace. On the other hand the place should be marked of occupation.

In the 19th and 20th century it becomes common to places cross on the summit.

The beginning could be seen in the fact that the Romans builded holy signs at the top of passes, like the Großer St. Bernhard-Pass.

The first summit-cross was build on top of the Kleinglockner, the fore-summit of Grossglockner in 1799.

At the end of the 19th century the myth of the mountain disappear and the cross becomes a more touristy relevance.

The famoust german summit-cross was build on the Zugspitze summit in 1871. Visitors wanted to get a picture of the summit with a cross. These nowadays japanese attidude belongs also to the german speaking and christian region in the alps. In this region are the most of the summit-cross.

The first painter who produced an artwork including a summit-cross was the german Casper David Friedrich. His piece of art "Kreuz im Gebirge" was painted 1808/09 in Dresden.

Kreuz im Gebirge"Kreuz im Gebirge" by Casper David Friedrich



Please post your best summit-cross picture to this album!


If you have any corrections or additions please send me a PM.






Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - May 7, 2006 12:47 pm - Voted 10/10

If you want.....

....others to attach photos, you must change the "Private Attach Only?" option to "NO" - this is the 4th box down on the edit page.

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - May 7, 2006 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: If you want.....

Sorry, it is changed.

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - May 7, 2006 1:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Hi,...

Sebastian, I attached two pictures without permission but, I hope you will change your page after Fred's remark.
Cheers!!!
Romek

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - May 7, 2006 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi,...

Sorry, it is changed.

JanVanGenk

JanVanGenk - Jan 5, 2008 2:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Good idea...

for an album. Thanks for coming up with this!

Jan

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Jan 5, 2008 2:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good idea...

No Problem!

;-)

Cheers!
Sebastian

Cyrill

Cyrill - Jun 21, 2008 3:51 am - Voted 10/10

Summit Cross

A good idea this album. Personally, I like very much the summit crosses. I think this is something very beautiful and aesthetic.

Cheers Cyrill

Viewing: 1-7 of 7