Summit picture from Old...

Summit picture from Old...

Summit picture from Old Snowy, showing Goat Lake in the background
jtschanz
on Sep 29, 2003 10:51 am
Image ID: 29265

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
rpc

rpc - Sep 29, 2003 3:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice climb report.

Jim,

read your Goat Rocks trip report - very entertaining with great photos. You guys had a nice full weekend - Curtis and then Old Snowy! We tried this climb on a Mazamas outing once (Curtis Gilbert) but the group was moving very slowly and they had route finding issues - did not make the summit. The rock is wonderful though, isn't it?!

Radek

jtschanz

jtschanz - Sep 29, 2003 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice climb report.

Thanks Radek! I had written this a while ago but never made the extra effort to post it.



I definitely wouldn't want to do that mountain with a large group - the rock is just too loose. It was a fun place to climb though. I wouldn't mind doing it again from the east side, or possibly in the winter ...



Jim

rpc

rpc - Sep 29, 2003 7:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice climb report.

Jim,

I think it would be cool to time an outing to Goat Rocks so that the TH access road is still clear of snow but there's a nice cover just above. We've actually found a weekend like that I think back in '01but given the poor planning (no snowshoes) we managed to plunge step our way only as far as Snowgrass Flats (<-I think that's the name). Would like to go back there under winter (but clear) conditions.



I'd be tempted to try Gilbert from the other side - dealing with that crumbly rock was something I could do without (at least on this moutain.....there's still N. Sister to be done).

Radek

Viewing: 1-3 of 3