Summit

Summit "ridge" of Iron...

Summit "ridge" of Iron Mountain (December 6, 2003).
rpc
on Dec 6, 2003 9:23 pm
Image ID: 34884

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 6, 2003 10:00 pm - Hasn't voted

snow level

Radek,

Looks like a good amount of snow up there at 5400 feet. At what level did you hit it and are snowshoes necessary? (I'm headed in tomorrow morning possibly-if I can avoid dragging the snowshoes up, it'd be nice.)



Looks like you guys had a great day.



Brian

rpc

rpc - Dec 7, 2003 9:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Brian,

sorry for the late response - I only checked this morning! We hit snow pretty much right from the trailhead (on/off). It becomes continuous and pretty deep at about 1 mile in (we took the short, direct trail up) and snowshoes were pretty useful I think (initially we were walking w/o them and postholing up to the knees). Have fun Brian & looking forward to some pic's!!

Radek

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 7, 2003 5:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Went and tried Devils Peak near Hood. Turned back about 400 feet from the summit due to time constraints and plans tonight but got a good workout in, maybe 3000 feet of elevation gain in 3 miles. Snow was hard enough that the snowshoes I brought were not needed. Could've used an axe and crampons to get over a traverse but I had to turn around anyway and get back. May try this one again next weekend. Good workout for the upcoming Mexico trip.



Later,

Brian

rpc

rpc - Dec 8, 2003 11:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Hey Brian,

that's pretty cool about your Mexi volcanos trip! When are you going and which ones are you thinking of "hitting"?

Haven't heard of Devil's Peak - where do look it up?

We tried something called Mt. Mitchell (c. 4000 ft) over on WA side near Cougar (Sullivan says it has the best view of St. Helens). Got there it was raining and we were not really sure if we got the right TH .....lost the mojo, ate lunch in the car and drove home :(

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 8, 2003 3:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

No mojo, no go, I know! Done that lots of times myself. I've seen that one in the red Sullivan book and though of doing it before. Devils Peak is in the same book (can't remember which hike number but it's in about the middle of the book among others nearby like Zig Zag Mountain, Hunchback Mountain, Tom Dick and Harry, etc.)



Going to Mexico Feb 4 with 2 guys from my Hood expedition class who are from Minneapolis (climbmn and mnclimber from SP). Going to try to do Orizaba. Not sure if we'll try to do anything else.



You guys heading to Jersey for Xmas or sticking around here?



Brian

rpc

rpc - Dec 9, 2003 11:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Brian,

cool! That's something to look forward to to break the monotony of the Oregon winter. Will be curious to get the beta from you after you get back.

No Jersey for us this year. Gonna stick around here for x-mas.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 9, 2003 2:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Just got my plane ticket this morning through justfares.com. Good price but I'm a bit skeptical. The woman I talked to I believe was at a call center in India (similar to what a lot of companies are doing these days, like Dell) and right after I gave her my credit card number I got disconnected. Eventually got ahold of her and supposedly the ticket is being mailed but I either a) got my ticket to Mexico or b) just funded a woman's spending spree in Calcutta. Time will tell.

Brian

rpc

rpc - Dec 9, 2003 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Ouch!

So you guys are planning on flying to Mexico City and then renting a car?

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 10, 2003 1:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Flying to Mex CIty but then taking two buses to Tlachichuca (sp?) where we get 4WD to Piedra Grande.



Hey, my return flight goes through Newark (nice and direct, eh?). Anyone you want me to say hi to? ;- )



Brian

rpc

rpc - Dec 10, 2003 11:11 am - Hasn't voted

Re: snow level

Good stuff Brian.



Yeah, give "mah boyz" up in da north n'rk projects a shout out while you'z there.



no really - don't go there! :)

rpc

rpc - Dec 8, 2003 11:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dog Feet

Usually not on short day hikes. But her paws used to get kind of reddish after a long day in the snow. Seems to have gone away mostly now.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11