Summit Sign

Summit Sign

This is the sign that you see when you reach the end of the 4WD road originating from the end of Huehue Street. Kipahe'e is the name of the cabin at the campsite. This direction takes you to a campsite consisting of the cabin, a bathroom, and a fire pit. Honua'ula is the name of the mountain peak. This second sign is not actually a trail marker but rather points behind to the Hualalai true summit. I was stupid on my first visit to the summit and misread the sign, taking the trail in the opposite direction thinking it would lead to the "highest" summit. Unfortunately, this sign is a meeting point with the other longer road that goes up the mountain. I mistakenly descended a long ways seeing nothing before realizing my mistake. This costed me a lot of energy, and I barely made it back to my car before dark. Follow the Kipahe'e sign to the campsite, relax, then take the spur trail southward to the summit. Unfortunately there is no good documentation about how to get to the various craters that are on this mountain. This site is the best I've seen so far, but even then it is only in terms of GPS and maps rather than physical landmarks. Since this is private property and you aren't technically supposed to be here, do not expect detailed National Park type of signage at the summit.
Aaron Soule
on Oct 1, 2013 11:28 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 870049

Comments

No comments posted yet.