Viewing: 1-20 of 47
FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Feb 12, 2009 1:07 am - Voted 10/10

Sweet App.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Great work. Your directions were easy to follow and a huge time saver.

mvs

mvs - Feb 17, 2009 4:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet App.

Really appreciated, thanks!

banzai.barbara - Feb 12, 2009 5:35 am - Voted 10/10

Bummer

Now I have NO EXCUSES anymore for posting single pictures rather than web pages.... "It takes too much to upload all the stuff" was my favorite ;-) :-D

seriously: thank you so much for your work with this page. I'm gonna try the tool soon. :)
barbara

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Feb 12, 2009 6:39 am - Hasn't voted

You put a definite stop

to the real gruesome work of uploading pics to SP, thank you !! That was the only bit I didn´t like about SP. I always loged in twice to speed up and get more pictures in but it always took hours ...
Great work and thanks again for developing and sharing this tool!!

mvs

mvs - Feb 17, 2009 4:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: You put a definite stop

Thank you, I'm glad to help out a local neighbor! :D

JasonH

JasonH - Feb 16, 2009 4:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Good looking page...

but I'm not sure this is a good idea. A lot of great picture won't get the attention they deserve because they will get kicked off the "What's New" page to soon.

mvs

mvs - Feb 16, 2009 5:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good looking page...

Good point. I guess it depends on your point of view. For someone thinking about the tedium of uploading 15 pictures for a trip report (that folks will enjoy), it's nice to think that it can be done in a more automated way.

But for someone who regularly trolls the What's New page looking for interesting pictures, maybe, indeed, pictures from a particular mountain or trip will be grouped more closely together. I picture something like:

PikesPeak(1) PikesPeak(2) MontBlanc(1)
PikesPeak(3) Matterhorn(1) MontBlanc(2)

where these are pictures from 3 seperate mountain trips.

Whereas, if this tool doesn't exist, perhaps you are more likely to see on a random visit to What's New something like:

PikesPeak(1) BlueFlowers(1) MontBlanc(1)
EmoryPeak(1) BlueFlowers(2) PikesPeak(2)

So I agree with you, within a span of "N" photos on What's New, you are likely to see somewhat reduced diversity of photos.

On the other hand, you may see a "flowering" of new mountains, trip reports, albums, etc. And that alternate type of diversity may be rewarding too.

Obviously, I value the convenience of such a tool over the perceived experience of a fellow looking at the What's New photos section (but that is just me!).

Thanks again for the feedback. Note that at this time, there are only about 20 people who've even tried the tool. It may be that it is more of a hassle for most folks. I'd say that unless more than 30% of active submitters start using this, you won't notice any difference in your existing experience...

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 16, 2009 7:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice app

I wished they had it for SP years ago. If I overcome my natural caution about downloading new apps, I may even end up using it :) But now it is up to the SP programmers to make good on a bulk detacher / reattacher, so maintainers of popular pages (like Whitney) could finally clean them up / move undesired attached pictures to separate albums.

In terms of missing features, I think it doesn't presently allow one to select a category (such as "Flora" vs. "Skiing") ?

mvs

mvs - Feb 16, 2009 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice app

Thank you, I guess! Hopefully with my years of trip reports and contributions I've made myself trustworthy enough that you can believe my tool isn't going to sign you up for spam or install viruses. But I understand your caution.

Anyway, I think I have learned from the experience that there is no stable of "SP programmers" we can count on acting on our feature ideas. We have to do it ourselves if possible. At the same time the Elves are doing their best to protect the integrity of the site, and we should proceed with a certain amount of caution, heeding their advice which is based on rich experience.

You are right, you cannot select category at this time, you just get the default. It's already in the feature request list.

All the best,
--Michael

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 22, 2009 9:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Bulk Delete

I don't know if it would be too much of a task, but a bulk delete program that we could use for our own galleries would be outstanding. Of course, few would use it, making it perhaps not worth the effort.

I once spent a few hours deleting probably 100+ pictures of mine I came to consider bad or off-topic. There are more pictures I'd like to delete, but the current process is too tedious.

Just a thought.

Cheers and thanks again, Michael,

Bob

mvs

mvs - Feb 23, 2009 6:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bulk Delete

Good feedback, Bob. As you see I have a bulk deleter, but it's only for the elves right now. I'm awaiting feedback from them on this feature. They don't like the bulk uploader, and highly recommend against it, but I'm pushing forward with that anyway. The bulk deleter is a potential tool for them should the worst fears be realized (ie, a sort of terrorist uploading many pictures with the bulk uploader).

If the elves don't want me to release the bulk deleter for public use, I will respect that. Because all you need is the elf username/password, and then you'd be able to delete anything. That is probably too dangerous...that's way that whole software "feature" is protected by yet another password.

So I think you probably won't get a bulk deleter. But I could help you out. If you could put all those pictures into an Album called "UNWANTED" or something like that, I could do it. You'd however, have to give me your password, let me perform the op, then change your password. The only danger is that I might upload kittens in your name :D.

Sorry to wax cautious on exposing that feature, but I do agree that the Elves have a point and I want to be accommodating to their efforts to protect the site.

RSBARNES

RSBARNES - Sep 5, 2009 2:40 am - Hasn't voted

Mac...

Maybe I missed it but was there a Mac version to use..? Thanks
Great work on this program.

mvs

mvs - Sep 7, 2009 7:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mac...

Howdy! No, 'fraid not. Continued development just isn't a priority, the tool is kind of a "black sheep" unfortunately (if Josh knew about it he'd be upset is one of the arguments I've heard against it). So I'm not working on it anymore.

I didn't use it for a long time, but lately I did and noticed that the tool would report false negatives, complaining that 1-2 pictures in a multi-picture upload weren't uploaded correctly. I don't know the source of the problem yet. But I just want to mention that bug in case you are seeing it. Otherwise, I hope you get good use out of it, despite being on a PC!

RSBARNES

RSBARNES - Sep 8, 2009 2:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mac...

Thanks for the update. Haven't tried it yet just was looking into it as time is time and uploading a few pictures can add up doing it one at a time.

Cheers.

EricChu

EricChu - Oct 20, 2009 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

I don't have Windows

Sounds great, but my problem is as the title of my comment. Is there a version of this or something similar that can be used on a Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?

mvs

mvs - Nov 15, 2009 1:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I don't have Windows

Sorry not now. If you use LightRoom I'm thinking of writing a bulk exporter plugin for that...

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Nov 4, 2009 7:15 am - Hasn't voted

Do you know this text problem?

It seems that the bulk uploader does not like thing as Ä, Ö, Ü in the words; after the upload the text simply stops there (e.g.: a text with "Schönfeldspitze" stops after the "Sch").

It also does not like the french language, the text stops likewise in front of é or è or simply in front of an apostrophe.

Is there any solution (besides writing e.g. "Schoenfeldspitze :-)) ??

Cheers, Michael

mvs

mvs - Nov 4, 2009 7:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Do you know this text problem?

Hi, thx for the note. It's not under development right now, so at this point I'd say you just have to work around this (clear) bug by avoiding such characters.

I am thinking about picking it up again though, and have added your note to the bug list on this page...

mvs

mvs - Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Do you know this text problem?

Hi, I have fixed this problem. Now you can display and type characters like ü, ö, ß, etc. Download version 1.0.0.8 and it should work. Let me know if there is any issue. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Nov 22, 2009 1:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Do you know this text problem?

Thanks for fixing that one so fast. I created the BrÜnnstein page today and the image upload worked well with these many "Ü" :-)

Viewing: 1-20 of 47
Return to 'Summitpost Bulk Uploader' main page