Sundance Mountain

Sundance Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Album

Add Heading here

Sundance Mountain is a peak that rises about 1000 feet above Trail Ridge Road on the east and several thousand feet above Old Fall River Road on the west. There are two summits, the east and more prominent (though slightly lower summit) rise about 1000 feet above the Road at the Ute Trail pull off. The Road continues to climb and the west summit is only about 300 feet above the road.In her wonderful book on hiking in Rocky Mountain National Par, Lisa Foster notes that thousands of people drive past Sundance Mountain on Trail Ridge Road every year but few actually get out if their cars and make the easy hike to the summit. That inspired me to do just that. We parked at the Ute Trail turnoff and hiked the failry gentle slopes to the east summit. I think it is about a mile but it looks closer. It is one of those hikes where you think you are almost there so you hike hard for several minutes and notice that the summit still seems about the same distance away. The east summit is a largeoutcropping of rock (see the pictures). The view from the east summit is spectacular.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.