Viewing: 1-6 of 6
csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - Mar 20, 2006 1:57 am - Voted 10/10

Great report!

Sentinel Point really is a great peak. The large plateau area east of Sentinel Point is also great to explore - especially when the Bighorn Sheep are around.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Mar 22, 2006 4:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great report!

Thanks for the comment. It was a unique place to visit. Didn't see any bighorn sheep this time around though...

shknbke

shknbke - Mar 20, 2006 11:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Sentinel

Nice report, Brad. Your trip was similar to my long day in Jan 05. I took the Pancake Rocks trail from Horsethief Park and approached Sentinel from the south, then took the north route down. Sentinel is an interesting challenge in winter. Too bad it isn't ranked!

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Mar 22, 2006 4:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sentinel

Hi, thanks for the comment. South to north loop would have been quite a challenge, indeed! Interesting looking ridge of boulders to the south, but I figured I had had enough "bouldering" and post-holing for the day. By your description, sounds a lot tougher on that side of the mountain, too, with 4th and 5th class. Certainly a great area to explore!

shanrickv

shanrickv - Mar 21, 2006 1:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Same Time, Other Side of Pikes

Hi Brad,
Great report! I was on the beginning of the Barr Trail and the Incline the same time you were on Sentinel. I started in partly cloudy/sunny skies, knowing full well that a storm was coming in. By the time I started to head down the Incline it was a nasty mixture of snow, hail, thunder and lightening. That was the earliest I ever experienced weather like that in Colorado. Sounds like your side of Pikes got hit as well.
All the best,
Patrick

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Mar 22, 2006 4:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Same Time, Other Side of Pikes

Patrick,

I drove past the east side of Pikes on my return trip home around 3:30 PM, and it sure did look nasty up there. Glad you made it out okay in the crazy weather!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Surprises on Sentinel Point' main page