Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 24, 2008 8:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Unrequited Summit Fever!

Nice report, Bob. Hope the shoulder is 100% now.

Augie

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 24, 2008 8:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Unrequited Summit Fever!

Thanks, Augie. The shoulder is okay now from the slip, but now it's sore from throwing a football with the kids at school. Getting older-- it gets us every time!

cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 25, 2008 10:20 am - Voted 10/10

Great TR, Bob

Very entertaining and educational.

A few notes for you:

1) Rather than 15, it's roughly 11 miles to the parking spot for Tabernacle Dome;
2) Spendlove Knoll is not a very good peak;
3) Firepit Knoll is slightly better but has terrific summit views;
4) Tabernacle Dome is a fine peak. The only route I've done on it consists of a short bit of easy 5th class scrambling down low and then a 200-ft pitch of easy 5th near the top. Route-finding -can- be problematic.

CP

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 25, 2008 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR, Bob

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I'd found the route you did (maybe I did but didn't have your nerve for the 200-foot pitch of Class 5). Firepit interested me because of the depression at the top shown on maps, but Tabernacle definitely appealed more. I considered a jaunt up Firepit afterward, but I was too tired, pissed, and sore after the Tabernacle attempt. But I'll keep it in mind, as I'd like to spend a little more time in the Kolob Terrace area next time I'm out.

cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 25, 2008 1:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great TR, Bob

Yep, the depression on the Firepit topo intrigued me as well. Indeed, there's a nice crater up there.

The Kolob Terrace is definitely a highlight, and much less popular than other parts of the park. My Zion manuscript currently covers about 20 peaks in the Kolob Terrace area. It'll give you lots of ideas. Lots and lots of good stuff, including "Moqui Peak," perhaps the best next-to-the-road peak on the Terrace.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 25, 2008 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR, Bob

As you know, I look forward to your book. Next time I'm in Zion, the Terrace is exactly where I want to spend my time because it is so pretty and less popular. I'd like to do the Northgate Peaks, too. Thanks again for the feedback on Tabernacle. Later today, I'll be posting my TR for South Ariel, so if you read it and have anything to add or correct, please do. I read your summit log entry here and think that "spicy Class 4" you climbed on the southeastern face is the part I wanted to downclimb but decided not to chance (go up, maybe, but down, don't think so). It's a nice peak, though.

cp0915

cp0915 - Apr 25, 2008 5:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great TR, Bob

Exactly how I felt. Downclimbing those steep and exposed slabs could turn ugly. Instead, I found a nifty ledge systen that worked the NW and W faces over to easy stuff on the S face.

ClimbingCooneys - Oct 13, 2011 4:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Great day on the Dome

Climbed this 10/8/11 using rough description in CP's book which approaches from the NW. Route went nicley. No problems finding that little 5.2 gully. The middle section of upper ridge we free climbed without rope, but used a rope belay on the way back down, partly because of high wind gusts. Just wanted a little more security. Found slings & rap ring wrapped around an exposed tree root near the top of the steepest section. Beautiful day with great views of the Angels. Could also see quite well our descent path we took off S. Guardian last fall which followed the western ridge to a saddle and then dropped into the North Fork.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Tabernacle Dome and a Dose of Perspective' main page