Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 31, 2011 9:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nope

I envy you. Living where you do, you get those weeks after Labor Day when the visitors are gone and the weather is still nice. And, of course, I know you're waiting for that ice!

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Sep 1, 2011 1:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Mosquitoes

In California, August generally has less mosquitoes than July, often a lot less. August is better!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 8, 2011 10:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Oh So True

Yeah, I shouldn't gripe too much. There's still a lot I can do around here in the winter, whereas you guys are pretty much shut out!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 5, 2011 8:16 am - Hasn't voted

Other side of the coin ..

I haven't been going out as much, because I live in Arizona and
the "summer temperatures" have been nothing to laugh about this
year. Lots of triple-digit stuff goin' down ..

I always look forward to September and October, as do people
trying to escape from the snow - a whole different mindset.

Charles

Charles - Sep 6, 2011 10:55 am - Voted 10/10

Wistfulness

Wistfulness accompanies the changing seasons Bob.

Cheers

Charles

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 8, 2011 10:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wistfulness

True. I feel especially so as summer goes to fall and fall to winter. I never miss spring too much, though; I'm glad to be rid of the allergies and the mercurial weather.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Sep 6, 2011 6:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Agree wholeheartedly

I know I need more experience on snow to be able to attempt stuff like Denali and the great Cascade volcanoes...but at heart I'm still a fairweather hiker. I love the visceral experiences of a moderate clime, the pleasant feel of a gentle breeze on the skin, and the smells too, of the forest and the brooks here in the east, or the smells of sagebrush in the desert, or of the ponderosa evergreen forest, or even that of gravel and rocks high above timberline. The climbing might be more challenging, and even more fun in some ways, but I feel like I get less out of the wilderness experience being all bundled up from the elements.

Castlereagh

Castlereagh - Sep 6, 2011 6:21 pm - Voted 10/10

...

but I do love the fall season here in the northeast though. Not just the foliage, but there's just a cool, crispness to the area, along with a slightly more open forest, that I feel like you can't replicate in the Spring (and yes, lack of bugs help too.). But yes, it feels so fragile and temporary, knowing what's to come.

On nice days in October and November after a hike I'd leave sunroof open in my car for the entire two hour drive home just so I can savor some more the last remnants of warm air for the next six months.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 8, 2011 10:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: ...

I agree about the fall. And winters here in Virginia are in some ways better than the summers, in the mountains, at least. The brush recedes, so off-trail summits become attainable, and the haze and humidity leave.

But my main love is the alpine places of the Rockies, so it is always with sadness that I see summer come to a close for those places.

BigRob

BigRob - Sep 7, 2011 3:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Love 'em all

It is just turning to my favorite time to climb in the high San Juans of SW CO. Down here the window opens to clear skies until the snow flies. We get monsoons on and off until late August. I have already started gathering the ice climbing gear together though.

Scott

Scott - Sep 7, 2011 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Not me

"Does August depress you even though it's a beautiful month?"

Not me. I like July too, but I also like the fact that by September the mosquitoes are mostly gone. I do miss the wildflowers though, though some are still left in the shady areas. At least in CO, t-storms drop off after early to mid-September. Stream crossings are much easier now than in July.

The thing I don't like though is that it's hunting season and you have to be extremely careful in the mountains this time of year.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 8, 2011 10:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Not me

Yeah, I mentioned the mosquitoes and the water crossings, and August is a lovely month overall up in Wyoming and Montana, but I can never help but feel a little sad at the multiplying signs that summer is ending. I guess I'm just a summer person at heart.

I've got Utah in October and again next April, and there is plenty I can do all year around here, but my main love is the alpine of WY and MT, so everything else, great as it is, just isn't the same (for me).

Good point about hunting season. I stick to the parks at those times, though that's no guarantee of being safe.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Sep 9, 2011 6:03 pm - Voted 10/10

We have something like that here...

Peaks ranging from 12000 to 2000' near Vegas. I love the approach of the fall... best season.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'The August Blues?' main page