The Cathedral Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
LazyJSkwires

LazyJSkwires - Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm Date Climbed: Sep 16, 2018

The great bamboozle of 2018  Sucess!

From truck to summit in less than 5 hours. This can be done as a day hike if you're up for it. Went up the northeast shoulder and found it to be mostly stable rock up until the last few hundred feet. Was expecting a horrible slog like on Mt Beulah, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad. I'm left wondering if Yard Peak can be done as a day hike, might have to find out soon

andrew david

andrew david - Feb 14, 2013 8:34 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2010

A Fantastic Mountain  Sucess!

Went solo and the hike in is long and I nearly got in a fight with a herd of angry mother cows when I accidently cut them off from one of their babies. What are cows doing in the Wilderness anyway, really? The snow and ice were all but gone so I went up the North rock field- tedious and not too excited, but spectacular views of many other peaks and Priod Lake. Several gullies would make fantastic ice climbs in June, and a loop could be done over the Cathedral hitting Alsop and Priod Lakes as there are trails to both with Cathedral central between them. It would be an extreme adventure and one I hope to do one day.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Aug 1, 2008 6:11 pm Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2008

Northernmost west gully  Sucess!

Ascended the northernmost west gully all the way to the ridge and then went south to the summit. Yet another peak that I thought was beyond me but turned out to be very straight forward. There are some very imposing cliffs as you approach the ridge, but they are all bypassed from behind. Camped at about 10280' along the Right Hand Fork. It took less than 2 hours to reach the summit and less than 3 hours round trip to get back to camp. Very nice peak, great views. I would definitely do this one again. Later in the day climbed Priord Peak and then South Yard.

Jeremy Franchow

Jeremy Franchow - Dec 24, 2007 10:15 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2007

Route climbed: Southwest gullies  Sucess!

In Scott's Routes Overview, he mentioned it may be possible to ascend the peak from some western gullies. Views I'd had from the south made the route look promising. There are two main gullies on the southwest slope of The Cathedral. Ascended the gully that's furthest north until reaching the base of the upper cliffs. Crossed into the gully further to the south for the final ascent. Fully descended the further south gully on my return. Beautiful climb!

Scott

Scott - Apr 20, 2004 10:49 pm

Route Climbed: NE Shoulder Date Climbed: July 1990

A very seldom climbed peak. I have been on the mountain several times between 1990 and July 1998 looking for other routes, but found few practical routes. The east gullies are alot of fun to climb as well.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'The Cathedral' main page