Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
kamil

kamil - Apr 1, 2011 5:15 am - Voted 10/10

:)

Beautiful story for the day, made me smile :)
cheers
k

visentin

visentin - Apr 4, 2011 2:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: :)

;)

Wild

Wild - Apr 4, 2011 1:13 am - Voted 10/10

Hahaha

Brilliant! I really enjoyed your story my friend :)

visentin

visentin - Apr 4, 2011 2:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hahaha

thanks my friend !

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Apr 4, 2011 3:39 am - Hasn't voted

Devil

Good story from the devil, as it should be!

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Apr 4, 2011 9:57 am - Hasn't voted

Inconsistencies?

Hi Eric,

There are some indications in the text that something is not true with the story. I'm not sure if they are planned or they are there by mistake. What do I mean on it?
- According to the text the quoted book is about a trip of 1861. But you still speak about the Republic of Cracow. This republic existed between 1815 and 1846. In 1846 it was occupied by Austria, and its area was incorporated into Austria – and it became part of Galizien.
- You write: “Cracow was a self-independent enclave, on the border with Prussia and the big empire of the Tsar”. It’s not the most accurate definition. It was an enclave between the empire of the Tsar, Austria and Prussia. It had only 20 km border with Prussia, and 90-90 km border both with Russian Poland and with Austria.
- If the story is about a trip of 1861, how can a newspaper of 1873 (Déchy Mór) appear in the story? A second dimension of time? :-)
- Budapest is mentioned in the text. Actually Budapest exists with its name only since 1873. But the story is from 1861. Before it Pest, Buda and Óbuda were 3 separate cities. They were unified only in 1873, with the name Budapest. Before it the twin city of Pest and Buda were often called Pest-Buda. The form Budapest was not used, though rarely the form Buda-Pest could be used in the 19th century before 1873

Sorry for the comments. But I guess you are already used to my challenges when it's about history of Central Europe :)

Cheers, Szani

visentin

visentin - Apr 4, 2011 4:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Inconsistencies?

Hi Szani !
Thanks for this analysis ! Indeed I think you almost guessed the answer to your own question: you probably spent more time doing the analysis that I did for the text itself, which I wrote in one go, just few wiki searches here and there... As you noticed discovering a 1873 letter in 1861 makes no sense.. just like Russell meeting a 12-years old boy as a mountain guide and so on :)
The most surprising for me is Pest-Buda and really I didn't think of it, I'm surprised. Russell itself went through this city during his real trip, despite I haven't read the real book and even in it there is not much about it. I'm interested about the spelling he used...

EricChu

EricChu - Apr 7, 2011 3:32 am - Voted 10/10

Not Leipzig - Salzburg!

The bookshop on the photo at the bottom end of your report is in the historical part of Salzburg - I've come so many times already past that bookshop I can't count 'em any more!
Cheers,
Eric

visentin

visentin - Apr 7, 2011 8:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Not Leipzig - Salzburg!

Indeed perhaps ! Just googled the word "burchhandlung" without caring much about the location. I picked this one for the sentence in white. Well done for recognizing Salzburg !

EricChu

EricChu - Apr 7, 2011 7:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Not Leipzig - Salzburg!

Cette librairie est située dans la Bergstrasse, entre Mirabellplatz et Makartplatz. Maria, qui habite Leipzig, voudrait bien savoir de quelle librairie à Leipzig il s'agit précisément. Elle pense te pouvoir peut-être en fournir une photo.

hamik

hamik - Apr 7, 2011 4:52 am - Voted 10/10

Enjoyable

I rather enjoyed this, thanks :-)

visentin

visentin - Apr 7, 2011 8:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Enjoyable

Thanks !

KevinStumpf

KevinStumpf - Apr 7, 2011 8:14 pm - Voted 10/10

AWESOME!

That was a great story and I am disapointed it was not true though.... Lol Weirder things have happened. I took my wife caving one time and when we got back to the car she had a text that was blank with a 631 area code and date of dec 25 2019 which is NY. she called back the number and it was a woman named Marissa! which is my wifes name. It was STRANGED! True story.. But anyways. Your story had me on the edge. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

visentin

visentin - Apr 8, 2011 2:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: AWESOME!

thanks ! hoping you didn't miss the end (April 1st ! :)

KevinStumpf

KevinStumpf - Apr 8, 2011 8:41 am - Voted 10/10

Re: AWESOME!

Lol I seen that part!?!?!?! Still a great story though..

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Apr 12, 2011 5:59 am - Voted 10/10

Epic is not enough to say!

heheheh Eric, you are impossible! but again the story somehow touches my heart, you would know why... and moreover on that brilliant evening of 1st April I just found myself walking with Peterbud along golden bridges of Budapest city... on my way to some remote corners of Balkans. Mountain ghosts are not dead! Zdrowko, Tomek.

visentin

visentin - Apr 12, 2011 6:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: brilliant

hahaha !

I forgot one part of the book fragement of Russell :
"On the second evening we bicouacked in a rock cave in a high valley that Bachleda called "Tazka". As we entered, we discovered a blond tall man sleeping into a similar sleeping bag as mine, except the fact it had bright colors and did not seem made of sheep. He had a huge black engine that looked like a box with a telescope on it and immediately grabbed it as he saw us. I wanted to talk to him but my friends got scared and immediately escaped. They said afterwhile that the region was still haunted by robbers and other strange people and did not want to risk it".

Glad to hear you and Peterbud met, after missing each other from so close on the Rodnei ridge. I'd be glad to have a beer with you guys ! Drop me a line if you're in Wro one day. Eric

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Apr 12, 2011 6:33 am - Voted 10/10

Re: brilliant

yeah, some strangers still live among scattered rocks above mysterious pond in Tazka valley as old guidebooks say... :)

As far as I know our Hungarian companion is exploring secrets of old Cracow on a LOVEly trip just now. Let's wish him good weather and not encountering any protestors haunted by ....ghosts of modern history ;)))

visentin

visentin - Apr 12, 2011 8:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: brilliant

Seen your fb profile picture. Looks like you explored some mythic and well SP-pictured places of the Dinarics ! Can't wait for the TR ;)

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Apr 12, 2011 9:15 am - Voted 10/10

Re: brilliant

Completing my last Tatra album and heading straight for those new projects!

Viewing: 1-20 of 26
12
Return to 'The ghosts of the Tatras' main page