Viewing: 1-20 of 25
12
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Nov 29, 2007 3:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Amen

Thanks for sharing that after all these years. Wonderfully expressed.

Augie

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 29, 2007 5:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you...

...for showing such courage and honesty in relating something so personal.

johnloguk

johnloguk - Nov 29, 2007 5:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you...

And thank you for your supportive kind words guys. I've been debating whether or not to write this for some time, I didn't want it to come over all depressing or pretentious. Next time I'll write something a bit lighter maybe!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 29, 2007 6:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thank you...

I found nothing about it depressing or pretentious. In fact, I admire how you found a way to sprinkle in some humor here and there.

kamil

kamil - Nov 29, 2007 6:10 pm - Voted 10/10

John,

What you've written is neither depressing nor pretentious, it's actually very optimistic. I think it will help all of us who read it in a way. Thank you!
cheers,
kamil

johnloguk

johnloguk - Nov 29, 2007 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: John,

To Bob and Kamil; I am so glad you found the article to be that way, it was exactly how I wanted it to come over. I am very grateful for those comments.

Snowpuppy

Snowpuppy - Dec 2, 2007 10:56 am - Voted 10/10

Very Good-Thank You

John,
I found this all too familiar and thank you for it. I started climbing a year after my brother died (it was suicide) and yes mountains do really help!!

Thank you,
Amy

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 2, 2007 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Good-Thank You

Thank-you for you kind words Amy. I hope the future brings you more good times in the mountains

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 3, 2007 10:39 am - Voted 10/10

The Power of Wilderness

I very much enjoyed your story--thanks for sharing such a personal experience. I've always enjoyed the wilderness, but it wasn't until after the death of my wife nine years ago that I really became ambitious about getting outdoors. I was blessed to raise a great 17 year old (now) son and we've had a lot of great adventures together. I often wonder how things would have turned out had Chris not died. And it took a great many months, even years, for the pain to ebb. I now realize that the good times were worth the suffering of her death. Thanks for reminding me once again of that.

--mark d.

P.S.--That is Psalm 121 from the bible, I think, though most interpretations have the reference to the hills/mountains as a question (the answer being that one's strength actually comes from God).

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 5, 2007 7:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The Power of Wilderness

Thanks for the kind words Mark. I definitely think that if I hadn't lost Gill we would have gone on to explore mountains at a more leisurely pace than the one I eventually adopted. I tend to do things more readily now, with the attitude that it is best to do things rather than think about them, because you never know what might happen if you wait. I've actually got 5 year old twins now, and I just hope that I remain fit enough long enough to have some "serious fun" in the mountains with them.

Outdoorgirl_ca

Outdoorgirl_ca - Dec 3, 2007 11:40 am - Hasn't voted

Lovely

Thank you for sharing. You've expressed complex emotions in a beautiful way.

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 5, 2007 7:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lovely

Thanks Outdoorgirl, I'm glad the article came over well, you wouldn't believe how long I thought about doing it. I see from your photos that we have visited a lot of the same places, despite being on opposite sides of the world. Glad you got some sunshine on Skye anyway!

reinhard2

reinhard2 - Dec 3, 2007 2:58 pm - Hasn't voted

After reading this TR

I felt immediately pressed to write a comment, but I see that everything I could write has already been written by others. So I content myself with endorsing in particular Bob's and Kamil's comment. You are right in expecting that SP readers understand what you want to express, and I think SP needs also such thoughtful and poetic articles!

Cheers
Reinhard

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 5, 2007 7:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: After reading this TR

Thanks Rienhard, your kind words are most appreciated

alpinedon

alpinedon - Dec 3, 2007 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

courage

you showed alot of courage in the way you handled yourself and in your honesty with your emotions. In the last few years I have lost quite a few people close to me and going to the mountains has been something that has helped me immensly. Thank you for writing this.

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 5, 2007 7:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: courage

There is something inherent in mountains that makes us more open I think. Most of us would never think of stopping to talk to a stranger on a street in our hometown, but we do it all the time in mountains. I think mountains must help to strip away some of the facade we wear during most of the rest of our lives, and that has to be a good thing.

PatWalker14

PatWalker14 - Dec 4, 2007 12:16 am - Hasn't voted

Life must move on...

John,
I admire your postive writing and the fact that you can go into the mountains and feel what you feel. My father recently passed away and I too feel much different when I head into the hills. Not a day goes by where we may think about these people, but we must always think positive and look foward to the future. Good things are to come my SP friend. Best of luck to you and your future.

-Pat

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 5, 2007 7:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Life must move on...

Yes indeed life must move on, and if we don't look to a positive future there really isn't much left. It is such a big world, with an endless supply of wonderful places to explore. Happy climbing Pat

eza

eza - Dec 4, 2007 10:35 am - Voted 10/10

Thank you, John

for sharing your personal feelings with this very special Trip Report. We all understand what you mean about the "healing power of mountains", and we have all felt it in one way or another. All the best

johnloguk

johnloguk - Dec 5, 2007 7:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you, John

Thanks Eza. It is great that mountains can not only "heal" individuals, but they form bridges between people all around the world, as shown by SP, rapidly becoming my favourite website.

Viewing: 1-20 of 25
12
Return to 'The Healing Power of Mountains' main page