Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 37.67839°N / 119.18381°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 3, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

03 September - Into the Minarets

Well here I was, ready for my first overnight trip into the High Sierra. Bears prowl the area I was headed into, so a Bear Canister was required. I took the bus over Minaret Summit and on to Agnew Meadows where I got off.

From Agnew Meadows I headed up the valley towards Shadow Lake. I had to take regular breaks, I was simply not used to hiking with the weight. The sun was out and the heat was beating down. After a long line of switchbacks I reached Shadow Lake and my first view of Mount Ritter, one of the gems of the Sierra.

Mount Ritter and Shadow LakeMount Ritter and Shadow Lake


Further up the valley I finally reached Lake Ediza, a real prize. Trees abound and the view up towards the Minarets and the wonders that lay in store for me.

The Minarets and Lake EdizaLake Ediza


Next came Iceberg Lake - named obviously for the floating ice and glacial melt. The views up towards the Minarets were now spectacular. Unfortuantely the clouds were starting to come in so I had to be careful and get to my campsite whilst I still had light.

Iceberg LakeIceberg Lake


I climbed up steep scree slops to finally reach Lake Cecile, the heightest point on my traverse. I climbed round the lake to where a ranger had advised me there were campsites. After some searching I found a tiny site - just enough space for my small tent. It was enclosed on one side by rock and trees on the other, but still had views out to the Minarets.

Michael MinaretClyde Minaret

04 September - The Devil's Postpile

It was a stormy night, high winds, and I was exposed to the elements. Didn't get much sleep! When I got up the views were great - however my camera wouldn't work. A long story cut short I discovered it doesn't work well after getting cold. The lesson? Sleep with it in my sleeping bag! Finally it started working and I snapped a shot of Minaret Lake.

Minaret LakeMinaret Lake


Shortly afterwards I turned it onyo the Minarets above me.

The MinaretsThe Minarets

The MinaretsThe Minarets from Minaret Lake


After a long descent down the valley I finally reached my objective and the end of my walk - the Devil's Postpile. This is a spectacular set of columns formed by some form of volcanic activity I don't have the time to describe...

The Devil s PostpileThe Devil's Postpile


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
scottmitch

scottmitch - Nov 8, 2009 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

michael

i think the pic you labelled as michael is clyde

nice panoramas

Viewing: 1-1 of 1