Viewing: 1-4 of 4
MichaelJ

MichaelJ - May 1, 2008 10:44 am - Hasn't voted

I agree

I, too, found the second pitch to be much harder than the first and I didn't trust much of the gear on P2 until I got in a #4 on the OW section, which was also my last piece until the anchors. My partner (a Red Rocks local) said that if this was the best rock in Arches, he didn't want to see the rest.

rpc

rpc - May 1, 2008 12:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I agree

Michael,
"if this was the best rock in Arches, he didn't want to see the rest"
Not that I've done a ton of stuff there but as far as the rock goes on stuff we've done, I think I do agree that right chimney was the cleanest of the "free" routes. Couple others (west face of 3 gossips, be there or be talked about) have their nice splitter parts (a pitch or two) but some sandy grovelling (aid for me) was required on rest of the sections. For quick/easy fun Owl Rock is nice too. I kind of never looked at arches as quality free climbing place (Castle Valley, The Creek etc.. give me that fill usually) - more like "adventuring" to tag some desert tower summits.
Hope your ankle heals up soon.
Radek

rpc

rpc - May 1, 2008 4:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I agree

...never mind about Owl - just saw your free solo entry. Did you downclimb too?

MichaelJ

MichaelJ - May 1, 2008 5:22 pm - Hasn't voted

No

I trailed a line to rap. The Green book makes the claim about the Penguins having the best rock in the park. Personally, I think I'm more of a granite guy. Thanks about the ankle.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'The Right Chimney' main page