The road to Passo Stelvio.

The road to Passo Stelvio.

The road to Passo Stelvio.
Vid Pogachnik
on Feb 1, 2004 2:53 pm
Image ID: 40333

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Velebit

Velebit - Feb 1, 2004 3:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Legendary bends

I imagined being/driving here many times, great music is playing, fantastic scenery around...then someone blows a horn and you realize it's urban jungle :-)

Klenke

Klenke - Feb 1, 2004 4:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Legendary bends

We have something like that over here in the Pacific Northwest. In the far southeast corner of Washington just over the border into Idaho is the Old Spiral Highway. The road was originally built in the 20's or something and at the time was the only way down the 2,000-ft bluff to Lewiston below. I remember the historical sign saying something to the effect that the road's creators touted a then unheard of 35-mile/hour speed being possible on the road. The road is not steep, which is obviously why it winds all over the place.



The road (US-95) was bypassed in the 1970's to make for a more direct route up and around to the east. The new road was designed for the improved capabilities of modern vehicles.

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Feb 2, 2004 12:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Legendary bends

This time it was a normal weather. Once we were driving down from Stelvio in a snow breeze, while a few poor guys with bicycles were freezing by the road. I'll never forget them.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3