The Second Coming 5.8 Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dow Williams

Dow Williams - May 19, 2022 7:29 am Date Climbed: May 18, 2022

2nd Coming  Sucess!

As is typical, I save the more popular/easier routes for last when attempting to climb out an area. As is also typical, 5.8 and below in the Sandias will feel below grade compared to many climbing destinations, but 5.10a up will feel stout for the grade to the average crack climber. This is because, despite the fine looking 5.10a splitter finish variation on 2nd Coming for example, it is mostly there for gear, and many of the crux moves will involve intricate face climbing. There are a few hand pockets and a few finger constrictions but for the most part, the crux climbing will involve steep face. Wires are a smart bring for this pitch. There is so much conversation about the three pitches below, but I found them fairly straight forward. The first two are a but junky and fast, below grade. The third pitch is a fun cleaner pitch at the grade. The 5.9 variation looked fairly good as well. My favorite route in the Sandias is Mountain Momma at 5.10c and I felt the 5.10a finish on 2nd Coming was not less of a 5.10 pitch than Mountain Momma's sustained pitches.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm

my first year of climbing  Sucess!

this was my first year of climbing, and all I knew about multi pitch was from Sandias.
This route has several nice last pitch finishes.
Since I was a novice, I did hire a guide Marc Ripperger. He has excellent knowledge of Sandias.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'The Second Coming 5.8' main page