The South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.55200°N / 123.255°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3-4 II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From U.S. Hwy 101 take road #25, the Hamma Hamma river road for about 6 miles until the fork. Follow signs for Jefferson lake. Take a left on to road 2480 for about 2 miles and then take a right onto road 2401. 2.5 miles after Jefferson lake the road junctions with raod 100. Park on small turn out at jefferson creek about .2 miles after the junction.

Route Description


Start on a faint trail on the north side of the creek. Continue West through open forest and large moss covered boulders. After .8 miles just before reaching the obvious avalanche clearing turn up hill to avoid the dense brush and stay in the open forest. The trail runs into a short section of slide alder and at about 4,300 ft the faint trail emerges in a small clearing marked by a large Karn. Ascend steep slabby rock and heather until the small snowfield below the summit ridge is reached at about 5,200ft. Ascend to the middle of the summit ridge. Climb on snow or loose talus and scree until you top out onto the ridge. Ascend the ridge to the north to gain the summit. The ridge offers some awesome exposure at times its only a foot wide and about an 800ft vertical drop on either side.

Essential Gear


Ten essentials.
Ice axe and crampons early in season.
A small rope and some slings are a major help on the decent but you can manage to get by without them. There are lots of fun rappel opportunities on this climb.

Miscellaneous Info


Whatch out for the damn Bees. The are every where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!