Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 3, 2006 4:59 am - Voted 10/10

Fun Reading

Nice trip report! Great pictures! Better luck next time on the wolves and bears....
Cheers;
Tim

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 3, 2006 5:04 am - Hasn't voted

Thanx alot!

I lived in MSLA for a spell and my wife is from St. Ignatiaus. And I can't spell.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 3, 2006 6:22 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Thanx alot!

I think it is "St.Ignatius". She should be used to the cold coming from there!

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 3, 2006 11:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Concerning the Bear Track.....

Thanx. It would have been really late in the season for a black bear too.

jacquel - Dec 3, 2006 8:08 pm - Voted 9/10

Very Nice

Your trip seems like it was a great experience for you and the pictures reflect that. Thanx for the post.

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 3, 2006 11:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet

You live in Msla? LUCKEEEE (Napolean voice) I lived there when Reserve St was mostly open fields of deer. But you guys need 5 Walmarts anyway.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Dec 4, 2006 1:04 am - Voted 10/10

A Great Read

Unlucky you didn’t see wolves and maybe ”lucky” the bears didn’t see you.

After seeing many signs of wolves along the trails, today my wife and I saw a very health black one bounding through the snow in a field near Route 12 while driving from the Bitterroot Valley to ski at Lolo Pass. Quite stunning really. Now to see one or more in the wild; that will make my day!

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 4, 2006 1:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A Great Read

Luckeee (Napolean voice) That's really neat. When I lived in Msla I talked to a logger who said he KNEW bears and he saw a Grizz near the Como Lakes. Last I heard they were not uncommon in the Rattlesnakes.

Dan Leonhard

Dan Leonhard - Dec 4, 2006 9:00 pm - Voted 10/10

fun read!

I like the notes by numbers!

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 4, 2006 10:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanx!!

.

jakefrisbee

jakefrisbee - Dec 4, 2006 10:41 pm - Voted 9/10

Excellent

I love Yellowstone and the Beartooths!

You're right about the wolves. If you MUST see them, you have to follow the wolf watchers and do the roadside/spotting scope thing. For all of the time I have spent hiking that park, I have never had an visual wolf encounter in the backcountry, though I have heard howling many times--in all 4 corners of the park in fact!

McBride Lake holds a special memory for me. During a family fishing trip when I was maybe 12 years old, I convinced my dad to go explore McBride Lake with me and see if the fishing was any good. We didn't have nearly the trouble you did finding it--we approached from upstream in hot weather so it felt good to get in that water. The fishing was terrible. We only maybe made a couple casts--tough confines for fly casting. Somehow we ended up high on a cliff 60' above the lake eating lunch. I was messing around with a family video camera (this was in my I-wanna-be-an-adventure-documenter days). I had just put the camera back in my pack, when my dad points out over the lake and says "Jake, get the camera!!" I fumble with zippers and look up at the same time. A bald eagle was heading right towards us, eye level. I realized I had no time to get a shot of it so I just stared, part of the moment. The eagle gently banked its wings, aware but not startled by our presence, and majestically passed not more than 25' from us. It's a part of that Yellowstone magic.

By the way, I lost a pair of sandals at McBride Lake. Did you find them?

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 4, 2006 10:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanx!

I found your Sandals and wore them in the beartooths. I had never seen a pair of sandals with crampon welts before. I forgot to include them in my gear guide. HAHA Thanks again.

rpc

rpc - Dec 5, 2006 12:58 am - Voted 10/10

Fun read

& love the photos!

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 5, 2006 3:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun read

Thanx!

aemter - Dec 5, 2006 6:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you!

Sounds like an awesome trip. I live near the North Dakota badlands and totally agree with you about the uncommon beauty and unique geology. I am planning a page on the North Dakota badlands and hopefully will have it up by next summer. Cheers!

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 6, 2006 4:47 am - Hasn't voted

Thanx

I would think one could find some solitude in the ND badlands area. A page would be cool.

Calaveras - Dec 6, 2006 12:16 am - Voted 10/10

Yellowstone Fall

I was in Yellowstone this September. I spent a couple of hours at a turn out in Lamar Valley with some wolf watchers but the wolves didn't show while I was there. The road to Mt Washburn was closed by snow the day I planned to hike it - so maybe next time. The pictures are beautiful and the honest gear ratings are really great.

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 6, 2006 4:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yellowstone Fall

On Sept 12 2001, I saw my first Wolf at a turn out in the Lamar, but it was 4-5 miles away and I could just tell that it was something black with 4 legs. Maybe I'll have to buy a spotting scope.

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Dec 20, 2006 1:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Now I'm jonesin'

to go to Yellowstone. It is now tied for #1 with Kili, Pacific Northwest, Buckskin Gulch, and Mt. Sneffels.

"I imagine that in the plain sight of hudreds, the wolves and Grizz teamed up and took down a Bull Moose as a rainbow touched down over them in perfect light and a Mt. Lion wandered by." --- Ha! Ain't that the truth!

Dottie Little Tent

Dottie Little Tent - Dec 22, 2006 3:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Now I'm jonesin'

I know alot of folks on here are more climbers, but if you are a wildlife fan yellowstone is hard to beat. I would love to go in the true dead of winter and see if I could make it. We only saw temps down to 2 but now I see W. Yellowstone in the news at -37. I'm sure that would be interesting.

Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
Return to 'The Western Expedition of 06' main page