Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lcarreau

lcarreau - Aug 7, 2009 12:13 am - Voted 10/10

Fred and Moni ...

You just gave me an idea on what kind of food to bring on my next
camping trip.

When I seafood, I eat it! So, gotta have some dried Salmon!

Nice report, guys!

Moni

Moni - Aug 7, 2009 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fred and Moni ...

Just don't bring it to Glacier NP - the bears would love you for it! :-))

cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 7, 2009 11:53 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks

I've enjoyed your photos and beta from your recent outing. And this trip report is full of good info and great pictures.

Super Dave

Super Dave - Aug 8, 2009 11:58 am - Voted 10/10

Ocalkens Lake Trail

Thanks for posting the report and photos, very nice. Details on the approach trail were listed in an earlier edition of a popular local guidebook, but the FS asked the author to remove the description from newer editions due to overuse. If I remember right, they were trying to protect the habitat of some sort of rare something-or-another. I guess the brush on the trail could be related, or maybe just someone being protective of a favorite spot.

Thanks again!

Moni

Moni - Aug 8, 2009 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ocalkens Lake Trail

Considering that we had the basin to ourselves for almost a week, overuse is hardly the issue. We think someone came in the last night we were there, but we neither heard nor saw her/them (the car at the TH definitely belonged to a woman). The area probably sees more use during hunting season, but I still think this is a very quiet place, especially considering the short distance in. Once past the Iron Basin pass, the trail gets really sporadic and I understand that the Forest Circus is actively not maintaining this trail. However, this country is so easy to get around, that anyone wanting to travel there can do it with few problems with a good map.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'The White Clouds Diet: 5 Summits in 3 Days, No Lunch.' main page