Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Dean

Dean - Jul 13, 2010 7:10 am - Voted 10/10

Dang

Your great pics and TR helped me to realize I had missed a goodie.
Congrat's to all of you.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 13, 2010 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dang

Thanks, Dean. We missed you up there.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 13, 2010 11:45 am - Voted 10/10

Buckner

Nice report Craig. I think everyone had a good time. It was a fun trip and we were lucky to get the peak before the weather rolled in. I wish I had some pics to contribute but alas it looks like it may be time for some camera shopping.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 13, 2010 5:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Buckner

You did not get *any* photos? That's too bad. I might need to send some your way.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 13, 2010 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Buckner

Nope, nothing. Looks like my camera may be kaput. The lens just does not want to come out. Too bad this didn't happen on a peak with lesser scenery. Sure, I'll be happy to take any pics that you want to send my way.

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 13, 2010 3:41 pm - Hasn't voted

What? No NE Summit too?

Roper is going to be getting on your case six ways to next Sunday!

It's not that a small number believe the NE summit is higher. We just don't believe that the NE summit is surely lower. It is not that it is; it is that it maybe isn't what it isn't.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What? No NE Summit too?

I was already well aware of John Roper's stance about reaching both peaks. We were going to do it, and had the beta to do it, but we all agreed the current poor conditions of the traverse while we were there would have been too risky to attempt. I was only going to do it to satisfy Mr. Roper, whom I have never even met in person, and I think Dennis, Eric, and Ken were only going to do the traverse for the same reason. Adam was indifferent. I respect Mr. Roper's opinion (as well as yours, or anybody else's) regarding this controversy, but I am going with the majority on this one, including what I consider credible evidence (although not scientifically verified) from some prominent peakbaggers that the southwest peak is slightly higher. If Mr. Roper wants to put an asterisk by my name for now then so be it, but I am satisfied with having summited this peak. Buckner Mountain is a great mountaineering destination.

mvs

mvs - Jul 19, 2010 6:21 am - Voted 10/10

Re: What? No NE Summit too?

Great TR Redwic. This exchange reminds me of a conversation in Jim Nelson's shop. Something about a variation pitch taken around pitch 11 that goes a little easier. "Ah, so you did a variation route! Too bad. When are you going back to climb the route, then?"

Summary: credit taken or given by others is one of the funniest games we play on each other! :)

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 13, 2010 3:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Good TR

Good read. Glad you found your dog. That would have been the worst part for me. And I know the Italian restaurant you ate at. Took my wife there the night before we climbed Black Peak. Good times!

Cheers,
Brian

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 13, 2010 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good TR

For a few minutes, my dog being lost was the most upsetting part of the whole weekend. I'm glad I found him right away.

The restaurant was decent, and the owners were very hospitable. After 10:30 PM on a Sunday night, it was either fast food or the Italian restaurant. I think we made the correct choice.

EastKing

EastKing - Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am - Voted 10/10

Great TR!

Great TR! Man there must be 2000 photos between all of you!!

Norman

Norman - Jul 18, 2010 12:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Trip Repoort

Nice climb...lot's of snow still. Good to see a trip report on Pacific Northwest. Congrads on the summit and a good post with pics.

TimmyC

TimmyC - Jul 18, 2010 1:46 pm - Voted 10/10

"The plan seemed simple enough."

Sounds like an exciting time. Great report; lots of good info for my future excursions, so thanks.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Jul 18, 2010 5:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool

I am not in the least put off by your choice to avoid the NE summit. Good decision making. The time it would've taken might have put you into the storm instead of below it, and you might not have gotten to eat at that Italian restaurant. Overall, good read. Glad you found your dog. More trips like this should be featured.

rasgoat

rasgoat - Jul 19, 2010 1:47 pm - Voted 10/10

nice TR

My girlfriend & I Just attempted Sahale last week and bailed too from the poor conditions. I searched all around the base of that rock for a somewhat safe ascent and only found solid class four on loose wet rock, not worth it for us. I am surprised that Buckner is a less technical ascent, it looks gnarly from the flanks of Sahale.

Redwic

Redwic - Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice TR

Agreed. From Sahale Glacier Camp, the snowy southwest slope of Buckner initially looked like 60° and quite imposing. Then a ranger told us it was 40°. Then two people we passed the morning of the summit trip, who had just done the North Face of Buckner, told us the southwest slope was only 25°. As we got closer to the mountain, we knew 25° was too low of an angle and 60° was definitely too high of an angle. The southwest slope was probably around 35°-40°, manageable with good snowpack, with the final summit block being a steep scramble.

skjos - Jul 20, 2010 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

TR Helped Us Out

Hit Sahale, Buckner, and Horseshoe last weekend and your trip report helped us judge route conditions. My report is in a little different format....HD!
Part 1 Sahale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gdSKR8uD4Q
Part 2 Buckner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTKtStdFFd8
Part 3 Horseshoe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCE91J5zajk

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome!

I wish I could have joined on this trip. Well at least I got to come with on Glacier Peak. Say how have things been going for you?

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Return to 'Time To Buck Up For Buckner Mountain' main page