To each his Castle Mountain

To each his Castle Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.74470°N / 7.31795°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 20, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Castles & Mountains OVERVIEW




There is a mountain that you think will not climb up again? Exists. A castle that you have never visited? It exists and can also have a tower. Expressing always a momentum towards Heaven. As the mountains and all the things that surround and enrich the same with the colors, the profiles, the smells, the elegant lines, the recent stories or ancient traditions. ncluding those of the men who, little by little, step by step they have approached. Timidly at firsty, then building houses, towers, castles. They, too, as it happens to the animals, they wanted to "mark" their territory, but then also externalize their "grandeur" to differentiate themselves from others imposing a domain.
All together these things, these yearnings of the Soul, contemplate it and it challenge, because men always go from the bottom for go to the top ...




"Saint Pierre ... Lords San Pierre & King Umberto I° Savoy's Castle"

by Antonio


Esiste una Montagna che pensi non salirai mai più? Esiste. Un Castello che non avete mai visitato? Esiste e può aver anche una Torre. Che esprime sempre uno slancio verso il Cielo. Come le Montagne e tutte le cose che circondano ed arricchiscono le medesime coi colori, i profili, gli odori, le linee eleganti, le recenti storie o l'antiche tradizioni. Comprese quelle degli uomini che a poco a poco, passo dopo passo a loro si son avvicinati. Dapprima timidamente in silenzio, poi costruendo dimore e quindi anche torri e castelli. Anche loro, come per gli animali, hanno voluto "segnare" il loro territorio, ma poi anche esternare la loro "grandeur" per differenziarsi dagli altri ed imporre un dominio.
Tutte insieme queste cose, questi aneliti dell'Anima, lo contemplano e lo sfidano, poiché gli uomini provengono sempre dal basso per andar in alto ...




"Sarriod de la Tour XIV° Century Castle",

by Osw


In this last page we proceed backward: we present a "Résumé", starting from the Castles for arrive to the Mountains. A different way to visit these valleys linking themselves more with to what is above, dominating, typically represented by a symbolic mountain that sets them apart. As a mark of quality, a prerogative that each owns and highlighting, as maybe a castle, an ancient tower or what is left of the passage of the men in the Centuries. A track that is inextricably linked with what is higher, not necessarily the most famous and known as the Mont Blanc for Courmayeur, the Rosa in the Valleys of Ayas and Gressoney or the Matterhorn in Valtournenche. Other locations are highlighted more for a castle, as in Verrès, Issogne, Fénis, St. Denis Municipalities or a tower as above Chatel Argent nearby Villeneuve, Montmayeur at the entrance of Valgrisenche, the Chatelard in La Salle or an old and famous alpine road as Consular on the valley floor and the Alpe Graia for the Valley of the Little San Bernardo and Poenina towards the Great, respectively towards Gaul or Helvetia also France and Switzerland. At times there are lakes to determine the success of the same, as happens in Champorcher Valley with Miserin, in Champdepraz with the large area of ​​the lakes reaching the Great Lake, in the Laures Vallon above Grand Brissogne Common, in the Northern Side of Group Gran Paradiso with Lakes Garin, four of Lussert, Corona and three Doreire above Gimillan or Basin Arpy with a loch of the same name and that of Pietra Rossa. An indissoluble union with the mountains, and to do that often coincide with a trip climbing sports and physical fatigue of one and the visit of the intellectual and cognitive other in a cultural exchange more interesting and certainly more than repays the effort of the body and even that is the soul-searching. A goal anyway always fascinating ...




"Verrès Challant Lords & Savoy's Castle with Mont Avìc Group"

by andreaperino


In quest'ultima pagina procediamo a rovescio presentando un "Résumé" a partire dai Castelli per arrivare alle Montagne. Un modo diverso di visitare queste vallate collegando le stesse maggiormente a quanto resta al di sopra dominandole, in genere rappresentato da una montagna simbolica che le contraddistingue. Come un marchio di qualità, una prerogativa che ognuna di esse possiede evidenziandola, come magari per un castello, un'antica torre o ciò che resta del passaggio degli uomini nei Secoli. Una traccia che si lega indissolubilmente con quello che rimane più in alto, non obbligatoriamente più famoso e conosciuto come il Monte Bianco per Courmayeur, il Rosa nelle Valli di Ayas e Gressoney oppure il Cervino nella Valtournenche. Altre località si distinguono maggiormente per un castello, come a Verrès, Issogne, Fénis, St. Denis oppur una torre come a Chatel Argent sopra Villeneuve, Montmayeur all'ingresso della Valgrisenche, Chatelard a La Salle o per un'antica e famosa strada alpina come la Consolare sul fondovalle e quelle dell'Alpe Graia per la Valle del Piccolo San Bernardo e Poenina verso il Grande, rispettivamente verso le Gallie o l'Helvetia. Altre volte ancora sono i laghi a determinare il successo d'una stessa, come succede a Champorcher col Miserin, a Champdepraz con la vasta area dei laghi che raggiunge il Gran Lago, nel Vallone delle Laures sopra Grand Brissogne, nel settore Settentrionale del Gruppo del Gran Paradiso coi Laghi Garin, Lussert, Corona e Doreire sopra Gimillan, oppure il Bacino di Arpy con l'omonimo e quello di Pietra Rossa. Un connubio indissolubile coi monti e tale spesso da far coincidere un viaggio con la salita sportiva e la fatica fisica dell'uno e la visita intellettiva e cognitiva dell'altro in uno scambio culturale sempre interessante e sicuramente più ripagante sia lo sforzo del corpo che la ricerca dell'anima. Un obiettivo comunque sempre affascinante ...




"Montmayeur Castle & Tower, between Grand Haury and Revers Hamlets",

by Osw


So as you look up from the bottom, from the Summit looking down.
Looks between the valleys, that unfold between the fog and mist, trying to figure out where you came from and where you have to go back to. Looking benchmarks sure that you show the way of travel and there is nothing better than a tower or a castle for to indicate it. Otherwise a white and tiny bell tower that comes out from the roofs of a small village, or, and still, follow the course of a glittering river that but then gets lost in the infinite.




"But above all else over Towers & Castles dominates the Mont Paramont"

by Osw


Così come dal basso osservi in alto, dalle Sommità cerchi il basso. Guardi tra le valli, che si dispiegano tra la nebbia e la foschia, cercando di capire da dove sei venuto e dove dovrai passare per rientrare. Cerchi dei punti di riferimento sicuri che ti indichino la strada del tuo viaggio e non esiste nulla di meglio d'una torre od un castello per segnalarla. Altrimenti un bianco campanile che esce fuori dai tetti d'un villaggetto, oppure, ed ancora, segui il corso scintillante d'un fiume che però poi si sperde verso l'infinito.

This is a different proposal that combines three things ...

I will not sell to You the best product, but a product so good, yes. That comes from a lived experience, also it made many mistakes and errors. How to run upwards and down mountains without ever looking around. For this reason and precise motive the proposal is to always observe three factors, combining and linking them inextricably:
a)- when designing a hike or a climb, always looks on Paper what exists her around. In each cardinal direction, and if not there, it changes the Map or the Paper.
b)- while gone up by always look left right, over below, and above all must record and store. You will need at the return, wanting to complete the trip with a visit instructive.
c)- when you have reached a summit, although it is the Everest or the Mont Blanc, look on another closer or distant, higher or lower. You will need for the next time ...




"Castle is always a bride with a Mountain, even if it is not Noble ..."

by Osw


Non voglio venderVi il prodotto migliore, ma un buon prodotto sì. Che proviene da esperienza vissuta, fatta anche di molti sbagli ed errori. Come quello di correr in sù ed in giù sulle montagne senza mai guardar dattorno. Per questo motivo la proposta consiste nell'osservare sempre tre fattori, combinandoli e legandoli in modo indissolubile:
a)- quando progetti un'escursione oppure una salita, osserva sempre sulla Carta quello che stà a lei intorno. In ogni direzione cardinale e, se non c'é, cambia quella Mappa.
b)- mentre risali dà sempre un'occhiata a destra e manca, sopra e sotto, e soprattutto registra e memorizza. Ti servirà al ritorno, volendo completar la gita con visita istruttiva.
c)- quando hai raggiunto una Vetta, anche se é l'Everest od il Monte Bianco, guardane un'altra più vicina o lontana, più alta o più bassa. Ti servirà per la prossima volta ...

7 Proposals for seven castles and seven Mountains. Not famous ...

They are not famous and not too known, but good Tours definitely yes. In fact it is not the intention here to make you visit the most famous castles of the Aosta Valley and even to make you climb the most important mountains. If you want to do bought a book or an illustrative guide or contact the Association of Guides Valdostane. We are neither Guides nor Cicero. Only an incurable "clochards" always looking for something that others have discarded or by long put into the hemioblivion. We seek instead to make traveling between what is misunderstood and that is why most charming and exploratory. Follow and you will see that you will discover things as beautiful and interesting.

1)- At Monte Andèr going from Verrayes and then St. Denis. All those who go in the Basin Verrayes / St. Denis travel for to climb the Becca di aver or Cima di Longhede. Or both, while someone else goes to the Col des Bornes or to that of St. Pantaleon, perhaps by then the Tour de St. Evence. Instead, we go in the opposite direction and by Grand-Villa (1407m) reach the Monte Andèr (1931m) bordering the Valley of St. Barthélemy. Even in winter with snowshoes. Then we go down to Saint Denis where, just before the Municipality of Chambave, we expect a beautiful castle, located on a promontory (800m) over the Baltea. From there you take in most part of the Central Valley.




"St. Denis 1351 Cly Castle built by Counts of Challant above the Baltea"

by Osw


Non son famosi e neppur troppo conosciute, ma buone Gite sicuramente sì. infatti non é qui l'intenzione di farvi visitare i castelli più rinomati della Valle di Aosta e neppure quella di farvi scalare le montagne più importanti. Se volete ciò fare compratevi un libro od una guida illustrativa oppure rivolgetevi all'Associazione delle Guide Valdostane. Noi non siam né Guide e tantomen Ciceroni. Soltanto inguaribili clochards" sempre alla ricerca di qualcosa che gli altri han scartato. Cerchiamo invece di farvi fare un viaggio tra quello che risulta misconosciuto e per questo motivo più affascinante ed esplorativo. Seguite e vedrete che scoprirete cose altrettanto belle ed interessanti.

1)- Al Monte Andèr passando da Verrayes e poi St. Denis. Tutti quelli che vanno nella Conca di Verrayes/St. Denis si recano a salire la Becca d'Aver o la Cima di Longhede. Oppure tutte e due, mentre qualcunaltro và al Col des Bornes od a quello di St. Pantaleon, magari facendo poi il Tour de St. Evence. Noi invece andiamo nella direzione opposta e da Grand-Villa (1407 m) saliamo al Monte Andèr (1931 m) al confine con la Valle di St. Barthélemy. Anche d'inverno con le racchette da neve. In discesa andiamo a St. Denis ove, appena prima del Comune di Chambave, ci attende un bel Castello, posto in un promontorio (800 m) sopra la Dora. Da lì ammirate quasi tutta la Valle Centrale.




M. Andèr from St. Barthélemy or Northwest (in right the Normal Route)

by Emilio Bertona aka emilius


2)- At Croix de Fana going from Villair de Quart and then Avisod (Trois Villes). Coming towards Aosta, just before you find the crossroads after Villefranche (557m) to the Villair de Quart and you reach it by taking a look at neighboring and overlying Tour de Chétoz. Here, right behind the Castle of Villair de Quart (740 m), a steep path n° 7 along which the whole wild Val Sainte or Valseinte first reach the renowned Oratory of St. Emeric (1140m) and then the pasture of the same name (1400m). A short crossing to the East via the private road leads to the Village of Avisod (1398m) where the trail begins just above n° 2bis or at the last Village Fonteil (1423m) always the same or to n° 2 on the initial part of the Comba Dèche both towards the Croix de Fana (2212m), large lookout over much of the Central Valley. If you can organize into two groups can make the descent into the car through the Regional Road that from Trois Villes descends to the State Road n° 26 at Chetoz-La Plantaz two almost adjacent Hamlets (540m).




"Villair de Quart 1185 Castle built by Barons Quart below the Valseinte"

by Osw


2)- Alla Croix de Fana salendo la Valsainte dal Villair de Quart e poi da Avisod (Trois Villes). Venendo verso Aosta, appena prima trovate il bivio dopo Villefranche (557 m) per il Villair de Quart e lo raggiungete dando un'occhiata alla vicina e soprastante Tour de Chétoz. Qui, subito dietro il Castello del Villair de Quart (740 m), parte il sentiero n° 7 che percorrendo tutta la selvaggia Val Sainte raggiunge dapprima l'Oratorio di Sant'Emerico (1140 m) indi l'omonimo alpeggio (1400 m). Una breve traversata verso Oriente tramite poderale vi conduce al Villaggio di Avisod (1398 m) dove inizia il sentiero n° 2bis oppure appena sopra presso l'ultimo Villaggio di Fonteil sempre il medesimo o quello n° 2 lungo la parte iniziale della Comba Dèche entrambi verso la Croix de Fana (2212 m), grande belvedere su gran parte della Valle Centrale. Se sapete organizzarvi in due gruppi la discesa la potete effettuare in auto tramite la Regionale che da Trois Villes scende sin a raggiungere la Statale presso Chétoz-La Plantaz (540 m).




Winter descent from Croix de Fana

by Ilario Antonio Garzotto


3)- Monte Faroma from Oyace passing through Betenda's Bridge and visiting the Tornalla at Valpelline and Oyace Tower. Reached Valpelline Common (ancient "House Tornalla" built by the Lords of Quart) it continues to the Municipality of Oyace where a small path n° 3, currently under renovation after a Church and some farms, up towards the Tour of Oyace, leaving left (fork with signals) the path that descends to the Betenda's Bridge over the Torrent de Valpelline, about which there is a beautiful legend of two knights and a girl. After the "Gouffres de la Betendaz" continues to Southeast with the trail n° 5/Alta Via n° 1 and, crossed the Alps Arp-Nouva, Arp-Vieille and Arp Damon Ardamùn, you reach the Vessona Hill. From this first on tracks and then surpassing easy small rocks (a passage of I°+, to circumvent South) at Faroma (3073m).

3)- Al Monte Faroma da Oyace passando dal Ponte della Betenda e visitando la Tornalla a Valpelline e la Tour d'Oyace. Raggiunta Valpelline (antica "Casa Tornalla" dei Signori di Quart) si continua verso il Comune di Oyace dove un sentierino n° 3, attualmente in fase di ristrutturazione dopo la Chiesa ed alcune fattorie, sale in direzione della Tour d'Oyace, lasciando a sinistra il bivio che scende al Ponte della Betenda sopra il Torrent de Valpelline, a proposito del quale esiste una bella leggenda di due cavalieri ed una fanciulla. Oltrepassate le "Gouffres de la Betendaz", si continua verso Sudest con il sentiero n° 5/Alta Via n° 1 e, superate le Alpi Arp-Nouva, Arp-Vieille ed Arp Damon-Ardamùn, si raggiunge il Colle di Vessona. Da questo dapprima su tracce e poi superando facili roccette (un passaggio di I°+, aggirabile a Sud) al Monte Faroma (3073 m).




Monte Faroma from Comba di Vessona or North (to the left Normal Via)

by emilius


4)- Pointe de Metz by Sarre observing the great landslide of 1564 and visiting Sarriod de la Tour and Sarre Castles. By the Municipality of Sarre (5.8 km. West of Aosta City with Sarre and Sarriod de la Tour Castles, preferably be visited on the way back to the valley floor) go up with the Regional Road and to the North, across the "Via dei Salassi" reach the important Fraction of Ville sur Sarre (1212m). From this village well in turn, first in the West and then to the Northeast you get to New Thouraz (1593/1652m; "Ranch Horse") with full view of the great Landslide above ancient Thôra of 1564 from Becca France (2312m). Soon after, leaving at the crossroads 1638 metres the dirt road towards the Vallon of Chiusella and Mont Fallère (3061m), you continue more to the East for a short distance with the farm dirt road and then continuing further North with the small path n° 7B is reached fork 2008 metres, above the Alp Condemine de Metz and the next locality called "la Tsitra" (2176m). All that remains is to continue with the little route n° 8C along the easy Southern Crest, before through the forest and then the grassy hillocks of debris, reaching the Pointe de Metz (2553m).




"The Great Landslide of July 06th, 1564" on SE Slope of Becca France,

by Osw


4)- Punta di Metz da Sarre osservando la grande frana del 1564 e visitando i Castelli Sarriod de la Tour e di Sarre. Dal Comune di Sarre (5,8 Km. ad Ovest di Aosta; Castelli di Sarre e Sarriod de la Tour) salire con la Regionale verso Settentrione ed, attraversata la "Via dei Salassi" raggiungere Ville su Sarre (1212 m). Da questo villaggio con largo giro, dapprima a Nordest e poi ad Occidente s'arriva alla Nuova Thouraz (1593/1652 m; "Ranch dei Cavalli") con piena vista sulla grande Frana del 1564 alla Becca France (2312 m). Subito dopo, abbandonando al bivio 1638 metri la poderale per il Vallone di Chiusella ed il Mont Fallère (3061 m), si continua ad Oriente per breve tratto con la poderale e poi continuando più a Nord con il sentiero n° 7B si raggiunge il bivio 2008 metri, sopra l'Alpe Condemine de Metz e la successiva località detta "la Tsitra" (2176 m). Non rimane che continuare col sentiero n° 8C lungo la facile Cresta Sud, dapprima tramite la foresta e poi per dossi detritico-prativi, arrivando alla Cima (2553 m).




Pointe de Metz or Met (outline right the Standard Route)

by Maria Grazia Schiapparelli


5)- Court de Bard from Challancin (La Salle) dominating Chatelard Tower. From La Salle come up with the paved road to the overlying Fractions of Croix des Prés, Cheverel (1470m) and Challancin (1610m; small parking lot) from this village up towards the Northeast through the path n° 2 coming to Les Ponteilles (1731m). Abandoning the left (North) trail that climbs n° 2A to Les Ors, mostly in Southeast instead continue reaching Arpilles Pasture (1.862m; wooden fountain), take an immediate right into the path that goes into the woods and climb with short diagonal alternating hairpin bends that back with beautiful views of the iced North Face Mont Paramont which stands directly opposite. Crossed two small Torrents of Arpilles Charvaz with a diagonal more moderate to the right to reach the Bard Pass (2176m). From this worth making a detour to get to the South, crossing a vast grassy plateau and small rocks into the end always with the path, the bastion of the Court de Bard (2262m) with great view of the Grivola.




"Tour & Tower Chatelard 1235 by Provost Grossy above the Central Valley"

by Osw


5)- Court de Bard da Challencin (La Salle) dominando la Torre Chatelard. Dal Comune di La Salle salire con la strada carrozzabile verso le soprastanti Frazioni di Croix de Prés, Cheverel (1470 m) e Challancin (1610 m; piccolo parcheggio), lasciando sulla sinistra la continuazione per Morge e Planavalle. Da questo villaggio salire verso Nordest tramite il sentiero n° 2 arrivando all'Alpe Les Ponteilles (1731 m). Abbandonando a sinistra (Nord) il sentiero n° 2A che sale al Tramail Les Ors, continuare invece maggiormente a Sudest raggiungendo l'Alpe di Arpilles (1862 m; fontana nel tronco); prendere subito a destra il sentiero che addentrandosi nel bosco e risale con brevi diagonali alternati a stretti tornanti che lo risalgono con bella vista sulla ghiacciata Parete Nord del Mont Paramont stagliantesi proprio affronte. Attraversati i due piccoli Torrents de Arpille e Charvaz con un diagonale più moderato verso destra si raggiunge il largo Col de Bard (2176 m). Da questo merita effettuare una digressione verso Mezzogiorno per raggiungere, attraverso un vasto plateau erboso e roccette nella parte terminale, sempre con evidente sentiero, l'ampio spalto della Court de Bard (2262 m) con grande vista sulla Grivola.




The Grivola from the Court de Bard

by emilius


6)- Montmayeur Tower, Mont de l'Âne and Cross 2439 metres by Grand Haury (Arvier) visiting Les Combes. From Aosta (583m) follow the State Road n° 26 toward the Mont Blanc. Once near Arvier Municipality (751m; Tower and Castle), turn left on the road in asphalt that goes up to the Villages of La Crête (830m), Petit Haury (1081m), Grand Haury (1177m; from here in just over 10 minutes to visit what remains of the horrid Castle and Tower Montmayeur above the entrance in Valgrisenche), and Les Combes (1323m, the site of Popes John Paul II° and Benedetto XVI° last visits to the Valley), where the hike begins. From Les Combes (1323m), continue on the trail that runs parallel to the road that winds through farms, until the trail forks 1537metres, at the Western end of Plan de la Pera. There, the trail goes on to Alpe Leytin (1787m), eventually merging back into the road. Head Southeast, avoiding the wide switchback for Moccossoney (1900m). Once at Plan Bry (1918m), turn East toward the watershed, which you reach near Maison Clou (2219m). Climb Southwest on a faint trail to the Mont de l'Âne (2367m), ad reach the following Cross (2439m) towards Becca de Chamin.




"Montmayeur Castle & Tower nearby Les Combes Popes Residency",

by Osw


6)- Castello di Montmayeur, Mont de l'Âne e Croce 2439 metri da Grand Haury (Arvier) visitando Les Combes. Dalla Città di Aosta (583 m) si percorre la Strada Statale n° 26 per il Monte Bianco e, giunti nei pressi dell'abitato di Arvier (751 m; Castello con Torre), si prende sulla sinistra la strada che sale alle Frazioni di La Crête (830 m), Petit Haury (1081 m), Grand Haury (1177 m; da qui in poco più di 10 minuti visita a ciò che resta del Castello e Torre di Montmayeur) e Les Combes (1323 m, sede delle ultime visite dei Papi Giovanni Paolo II° e Benedetto XVI°), dove inizia l'itinerario a piedi. Da Les Combes (1323 m), proseguire per la strada poderale sul sentiero parallelo sino al bivio 1537 metri, al margine Occidentale del Plan de la Pera, dove il sentiero prosegue per l'Alpe Leytin (1787 m) congiungendosi nuovamente nell'ultimo tratto con la poderale. Proseguire a Sudest evitando il largo tornante per Moccossoney (1900 m) e, raggiunto il Plan Bry (1918 m), voltare ad Est indirizzandosi alla cresta spartiacque, raggiungendola nei pressi di Maison Clou (2219 m). Proseguire su tracce evidenti a Sudovest e, doppiato il Mont dell'Âne (2367 m), raggiungere in breve tempo la successiva Croce (2439 m).




"M. de l'Âne below Becca de Chamin",

by Osw


7)- Chatel Argent and Mont de Poignon from Villeneuve. From the Municipality of Villeneuve (10 Km. to the West of Aosta City) go up quickly to the famous Chatel Argent by a beautiful stone staircase that starts at the bridge over the Dora Baltea just before entering the village. Continuing through the first Southeast path n° 1 towards Alpages Prorayé (here comes the trail n° 1A from the above Village of Champlong Dessus, reached with a deviation immediately after the country) and so much more to the South is easy to reach the Mont de Poignon (1567m), which precipitates with a large wall above the Village of Pondel or Pont d'Ael and Grand'Eyvia Torrent in Val di Cogne.




"Chatel Argent XI° Century by Bard's Lords above Chavonne-Villeneuve"

by Osw


7)- Chatel Argent e Mont de Poignon da Villeneuve. Dal Comune di Villeneuve (10 Km. ad Ovest della Città di Aosta) salire in breve tempo al famoso Chatel Argent per mezzo di una bella scalinata in pietra che inizia presso il ponte sulla Dora Baltea appena prima di entrare in paese. Continuando verso dapprima Sudest tramite il sentiero n°1 fino all'Alpe Prorayé (qui arriva anche il sentiero n°1A dal Villaggio soprastante di Champlong Dessus, raggiungibile da una deviazione subito dopo le abitazioni) e quindi decisamente più verso Sud si raggiunge facilmente il Mont de Poignon (1567 m), precipitante con grande parete sopra Pondel o Pont d'Ael e la grand'Eyvia in Val di Cogne.




"Mont de Poignon above Chatel Argent nearby Villeneuve",

by Osw


Comments

No comments posted yet.