Travessia Lapinha Tabuleiro

Travessia Lapinha Tabuleiro

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 18.97903°S / 43.76953°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: easy but long walk
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tabuleiro s Water Fall


One of the most famous treks in Minas Gerais (the State where gold was exploited in Colonial Brazil) is the called “travessia Lapinha-Tabuleiro” in “Serra do Cipó”. The gold miners have gone with the end of Colonialism and with the decrease of the available gold. Only mountains and incredible landscapes remained. Nowadays, in cities like “Sabará”, “Ouro Preto” and “Tiradentes” tourists can go back to that golden past by walking through old houses and churches carved in tiny and hilly cobblestone streets.

“Tabuleiro”, as well as “Lapinha”, is a microscopic village in the interior of our hilly state. There must be, at the most, two hundred citizens living in these places. Because of the small size and relatively recent afflux of tourists, there is no adequate infrastructure to welcome you with the comforts of a well-structured city. Nevertheless, there is one grocery on each of these places where you can be “saved” from "starving", and also some small and inexpensive restaurants, campgrounds and inns. Being aware of these small difficulties makes life perfect and you are able to pack your bag, grab your tent and enjoy the grandiose nature of the region.

Getting There

First of all, before starting the trip, you have to previously arrange somebody to guide you since it is impossible to do it without knowing what track to take. But if you do it once, the second time you go there you can go without the guide. If you wish, I can contact somebody to do this job.

After this, you’ll have to decide where to stay in “Lapinha” and “Tabuleiro”. In “Lapinha”, I particularly prefer to stay either at a camping place or at the “Casa do Sóter” (Sóter’s House). Visit the web site (www.guiadalapinha.com.br) and you’ll have more info about Lapinha. Visit the site http://www.viagensmaneiras.com/viagens/tabuleiro.htm to get some information about “Tabuleiro”.

Route Description

[img:313893:alignleft:small:]The trip can be well done in two days (some crazy do it in one day, what I don’t suggest). In the first day you’ll have more of less two big hills to go up and the level of difficulty of the walk is, let’s say, easy if you are accustomed to walking. When you are up there on the summit of the first hill, you’ll feel the immensity of the place by looking at the “campina grande” (big field) one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen. It seems that you are looking at one thousand green golf fields mingled with the deep sky and bluish mountains.

The next step (or thousand steps) is to cross this field going towards “Casa da Dona Maria” (“Mary’s house”). Mary is a generous old woman who is privileged to live alone in the silence of those beautiful mountains. The surrounding of her house is the place where trekkers are used to mounting their camp at the end of the first day of walk. When you get there, you can even be luckily invited to drinking a coffee with her. After walking for 6 or 7 hours and approximately 20 km, you finish the first day of the trip.

At Last...

The second day is an easy walk down to Tabuleiro’s village with Tabuleiro’s fall as a background and visual reference. Tabuleiro is the third highest water fall in Brazil: it has 278 meters. Your first contact with the fall is by the ear. You‘ll hear the sound of the falling water before you see it far away engraved in the mountains. Believe me, it is a breath taking sight your first glance at the immense fall!
At last, all you have to do is enjoy the beauty of the place and have a relaxing bath at the cold waters of the fall.

When to go/ Gear/ External Links

Time

The best time to take the trip is between April and September when the sky is deep blue and you are not likely to walk with rain. June and July are the best months. But, remember, since this is winter season in “Minas Gerais”, temperature easily falls to 0ºC at night, thus keeping the water really cold.

Gear

Sleeping bag, Tent, clothes for cold at night (+-5ºC) and hot during the trek (+-20ºC in the sun), food for two day walking.

Links

www.guiadalapinha.com.br