Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Koba

Koba - Aug 4, 2008 10:21 am - Hasn't voted

Finally my turn to see one!

This past Sunday, Aug 3, I decided to go on a lengthy solo trek from Breakneck Ridge over to Sunset Point, over South Beacon Mtn, out to Bald Hill in the Fishkill Conservation Area and down back to Beacon. I'd mostly chalked up seeing rattlers in the area to urban legend until I came across your page. Lo and behold on the north side of the Fishkill Ridge trail (W) between Lamb Hill and the mid-scenic point I'm stepping over a rock, look down about a foot under my boot and see one of the largest snakes I'd ever seen, which then proceeded to coil, rattle and hiss at me for a few minutes. Man, what a beauty! (But boy was I slower on the trail after that!)

birdny

birdny - Aug 4, 2008 4:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Finally my turn to see one!

I know what you mean, I never thought I'd see one but after our encounter I always walk a little more cautiously. Sounds like you had a great hike! Hopefully you'd add a trip report, maybe a page for South Beacon, or Bald Hill as they still don't exist on our NY/NJ Highlands links. Glad yuou got to see what you saw and came out safe and more enlightened!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Another round on Breakneck This time with a Rattlesnake!!' main page