New Zealand 1: North Island

New Zealand 1: North Island

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.09596°S / 175.78125°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 4, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

02/03 February - Flying out to Singapore

It was an interesting start to a summer holiday. We woke at home with an inch of snow on the ground and an immediate thought of - "are we going to have trouble getting to the airport?" Fortunately my Dad and I got there fine and after a short hop to London took the longest flight of the journey to Singapore.

We arrived the next day in the late afternoon, absolutely shattered. After a quick bite to eat we went to bed.

04 February - Singapore

The next day we got up and headed down towards Singapore Harbour. Throughout the day my dad took the train whilst I walked - I didn't mind clocking up a few miles over the day, I was going to need the practice.

Down at the harbour we saw the "Mer Lion", the symbol of Singapore. I decided to get just a normal photo - others were trying to pose in such a way it looked like they were drinking the water out of the Mer Lion's mouth!

The Mer LionThe Mer Lion


After that we went down to Sentosa Island to visit the old fort and took a tour.

The other thing we wanted to do that day was visit the zoo. However we had been advised to go at night for the "Night Safari". We took a trip through the zoo on a train and then walked the paths amongst the animals in virtual pitch black.

It was great. You stood on a path, with minimal light, with a lion roaring no more than five metres away - with nothing but a ditch in between!

05 February - Bukit Timah

The following day we knew we had a late flight, so we took a short trip out. We went to the only tropical rainforest remaining in Singapore - at Bukit Timah, which is the highest point on the Island. A singularly dissapointing 163m!

Me on Bukit TimahMe on Bukit Timah


After that it was a quick dip in the pool at the hotel followed by a trip back to the airport.

06 February - Auckland

We arrived shortly after lunch and it took ages to get through security. As I'd been out in the rainforest in Singapore I had to go into another room and clean my walking boots! Fortunately I was wearing them - I could only take 20kg in my suitcase and I was at over 19kg!

The only thing we managed that day was a short walk round the Auckland Domain - the main park in the centre of Auckland. I took a look round the Auckland Museum whilst I was there.

Auckland MuseumAuckland Domain


The one thing that struck us about Auckland was the size. Its the largest city in New Zealand but felt like a small town.

07 February - Rangitoto Island

The next day my Dad and I too ka boat trip out into Auckland Harbour. There are a huge array of islands out there, many are volcanic and we were going to the most volcanic - Rangitoto Island. The presence of all that volcanic activity definitely confirms New Zealands place on the Ring of Fire.

The boat dropped us on the pier and we had a little over three hours. My dad took a "tractor pulled trolley car" (no joke) round the island while I took a walk up the hill. On the way up were multiple streams of old lava including ones that the path went directly through.

Rangitoto Lava FlowRangitoto Lava Flow


The summit was very forested so there was little evidence of volcanic there - except for the huge crater. After a long meandering walk down I then took a walk along the shore and found places where streams of lava streamed straight into the water.

Lava flows into the seaLava Flows into the sea

08 February - Mangawhait Cliffs

On the 8th we were heading up the coast of the Norh Island towards the Bay of the Islands. We took a leisurely drive, stopping at a few select locations for a view. One of these was Mangawhait Cliffs where my Dad sat on the beach, whilst I took a walk on the cliffs. It was all on a prepared path so was easy - and with great views.

Mangawhait CliffsMangawhait Cliffs


I then walked back along the beaches. Parts of them were rocky, but the last stretch was sandy beach and I was able to walk out into the deep water up to my knees and further!

Mangawhait BeachMe on Mangawhait Beach

09 February - Bay of the Islands

We were pre booked to take a day out on a catamaran. It was a huge boat and we would be sailing out into the Bay of the Islands. We were lucky - shortly after leaving a number of dolphins swam past and I was able to get some shots - though none of them jumping out of the water!

Dolphin at Bay of the IslandsA Dolphin at Bay of the Islands


Much of the day was spent sitting on the nets at the front of the boat. At high speed the water whipped up and covered us in spray! Excellent.

Me on a catamaranMe relaxing on the nets


We stopped by one small island for lunch - a great barbecue! After that we had a chance to canoe over to island and wander about a bit. I also took the opportunity to take a swim in the Pacific Ocean. It was cool but not unpleasent.

We got back to shore in the late afternoon and I got this photo of our boat.

 On The Edge  Catamaran"On The Edge"


I did notice one mistake I'd made. I'd put sun tan cream on early in the day - then taken my shoes off. I now had sunburnt feet! Walking was a little unpleasent..

10 February - Rotarua

The following day it unfortunately rained quite persistently. At least we were driving - one of the longest days down to Rotorua, where most of the hot springs and geysers are. The lake itself was pretty enough - with the geysers making the shore interesting in places!

Lake RotoruaLake Rotorua


I have to say however - having been to Yellowstone - it didn't compare!

11 February - Taupo and Huka Falls

We were supposed to take a rafting trip on the 11th, however there wasn't enough water so we had to abandon that. We took a lazy drive south and decided that since we couldn't raft we would have a trip on a jet boat. These are essentially highly maneuverable speed boats!

The driver was able to thread his way at spectacular speeds within a few inches of obstacles in the river - spinning us 540 degrees and spraying us with water. The finale was a trip to Huka Falls - where we got to see them up close and very personal (i.e. wet!)

Huka FallsHuka Falls


Later that day we headed to Whakapapa Village in Tongariro National Park. There we got the bad news - a very poor forecast for the next day...

12 February - The Waihohonu Traverse

We had been going to walk the Tongariro Crossing the next day, but the poor forecast meant that the buses you need to get to the start and finish were cancelled. Damn.

After much discussion we decided to take a short walk up towards the volcanoes. The weather cleared a little and I decided to walk up to Tama Lakes - two volcanic lakes just below Mt Ngauruhoe. My Dad was really generous and agreed to pick me up on the far side of the park, allowing me to walk another signature walk - The Waihohonu Traverse.

I got the following picture of Mt Ngauruhoe as I climbed to Tama Lakes.

Mt NgauruhoeMt Ngauruhoe


I then got the following view of the lakes when I got there.

Tama LakesTama Lakes


I walked up to the ridges above the lakes, switching backwards and forwards over increasingly rocky terrain. As I reaced the highest point the clouds began to come in and the rain began to pelt down. I moved faster then - there was a real storm risk, and having seen thunderstorms in action I had no desire to be caught in one. Once I descended I spent most of the rest of the afternoon walking with some new friends!

Making friends in the wetMaking friends in the wet


When we got back to Whakapapa there was good news. The next days forecast was good. We booked onto a bus - we would arrive in Wellington very late but it would be worth it. As we went for dinner we looked out and saw the view of the volcanoes.

Mt Tongariro and Mt NgauruhoeThe Volcanoes of Tongariro National Park

13 February - The Tongariro Crossing

The next morning it was crystal clear. For the first time we could see Mt Ruapehu - the highest mountain on the North Island. The snow looked great. I had however seen a great shot in the gift shop the day before. The volcano had erupted three months previously, and someone had got a shot of a volcanic eruption of a snow capped peak at sunrise. Unfortunately you couldn't by a copy!

Mt RuapehuSnow on Mt Ruapehu


The bus took us to the start of the crossing for an early start - before eight. Hard for my Dad, but nothing for someone whose hiked before dawn in the Rocky Mountains! Buses had dropped people off at 15 minute intervals and I delighted in overtaking the groups from before me - I made excellent time to the South Crater in just over an hour.

From there I could view the see Mt Ngauruhoe above. 700m of scree. Ouch. Many people didn't climb it - but I couldn't resist. Two steps up, one step back.

Mt NgauruhoeMt Ngauruhoe


The climb over an hour and a half. My knees ached! The mist came in towards the top and hovered around those of us on the summit. Fortunately there was a little wind - you are advised not to go up in still conditions as the sulphur can render you unconcious!

Mt Ngauruhoe craterMt Ngauruhoe Crater


Next came the fun bit - descent. It took ages to get up the slope but only 15 minutes to get down. Just put one foot forward and surf, just like you would a surf board. I had to stop others from copying me. They didn't have ankle length boots and were risking serious injury.

Descending back to the main Tongariro Crossing and all those who made a later start. By this time my Dad would have been well ahead of me. The track led up to the summit above Red Crater - the highest point on the Tongariro Crossing. I was tempted to do the side trip up to Mount Tongariro - but was already taking longer than planned and didn't want to miss my bus!

Red Crater SummitRed Crater Summit


On the way down you got a great view into the crater.

Red CraterRed Crater


The descend from Red Crater was down a narrow rib which most people took slowly. Not me - took it at a run, getting dirty looks from those much less confident with there footing. As you reached the bottom you got a great view of the "Emerald Lakes" - pure blue lakes formed in small craters.

Emerald LakesEmerald Lakes


All that remained was the long walk out. I caught up with my Dad shortly after the Ketahati hut and walked the three of four or five miles to the bus stop at the end of the hike.

After getting dropped back at our car we took the long drive south to Wellington - arriving late in the evening. Tired, but satisfied. It's not described as the most popular walk in the North Island for nothing.

Next onto the South Island...


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
maddie77777

maddie77777 - Jan 22, 2009 4:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Great pictures

Sounds like an incredible trip!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1