Trouble

Trouble

"ASPEN — A Kansas man was injured Sunday when he was swept down Hagerman Peak, triggering a rescue effort to transport the climber to Aspen Valley Hospital, and from there to a Denver hospital. The Pitkin County Sheriff's Office received a phone call at 9:15 a.m. from a climber on the north side of Hagerman Peak, located northwest of Snowmass Peak in the Elk Mountains, about 12 miles southwest of Aspen. The caller, 27-year-old Mark Jansen of Denver, said he and his brother, Timothy Jansen, 32, of Lenexa, Kansas, had been caught by a breaking cornice and swept down the Hagerman Couloir, where they came to rest on a steep part of the mountain, according to the sheriff's office. Timothy Jansen was thought to be seriously injured; his brother was reportedly uninjured. The climbers were aided by another group that was on the mountain at the same time. The sheriff's office, Mountain Rescue Aspen and a Flight for Life helicopter out of Denver coordinated in the rescue effort. The injured climber was taken to the Aspen hospital by Flight for Life shortly before 2 p.m. AVH personnel decided to have the helicopter immediately transport the man to a Denver area hospital, according to the sheriff's office. At about 4 p.m., the Mountain Rescue Aspen team remained in the field."
metal4lyf
on Jun 2, 2010 2:26 am
Image ID: 625887

Comments

No comments posted yet.